Democracy Did Hiroshima

speed said:
U.S. military power has allowed the economic growth of Europe and parts of Asia (quite like the British and their navy before us). And we're safer from any major war like WWII, due to a total imbalance of military power. We did, oversee a very prosperous economy, that is still runing along strongly considering all the problems.

These are pretty significant things, don't you think?

Surely you've seen recent surveys that show that besides India, the entire world has a very negative impression of American muscular foreign policy, and whats more, something like 85-90% of Europeans think the United States is more dangerous than Al Quaida or Iran. The whole idea here Dying Breed, is the cold war system that the first world profited under for the last 50 years, has come apart at the seams. You need to recognize this fact.

I specifically said "ask the leaders" because your average Joe (European, American, whatever) doesn't know shit about global politics, so such polls tell us nothing. I really don't understand what you mean to describe when you refer to the "cold war system", but I don't see much of anything that benefits the first world coming apart at the seams. NATO still exists and figures prominently into European security, globalization has been largely institutionalized, and we now have the EU (a facet of globalization, which would have been impossible without the presence of the US following WWII.) Again, I don't care that 80% of people in Slovakia are opposed to the Euro, because they know jack shit.

However, due to our policies, I think we're actually not as safe as we were in the cold war. We've spawned generations of terrorists, threatened somewhat backward states who have developed nuclear weapons as deterrents, and left the majority of the population of the world, to abject poverty without so much as a thought. Not to mention the byproducts of American culture and materialism.

In the Cold War we approached the brink of nuclear holocaust on multiple occasions. By contrast, the terrorists we face today have extremely limited capabilities, and in addition to that, Europe has been dealing with various forms of terrorism for decades- it's nothing new. North Korea just makes a lot of noise meant to bring the West to the negotiating table, not to mention that their missiles are shit anyway. Poverty has declined worldwide since the Cold War. Here, have a link. http://www.iie.com/publications/newsreleases/newsrelease.cfm?id=83

I don't understand how you can think we are more threatened today by guys with box cutters and car bombs, and a couple backward states with questionable capabilities, than we were by the Cold War. It just doesn't add up. I do understand that there have been significant failures, although I would like to point out that many of the problems faced by the Middle East and Africa are rooted in European colonialism, rather than US policy. I think Iraq was a mistake. I think our support for Israel is a mistake. I think Bush's "axis of evil" thing was really stupid. But the characterization of the US as this big, maverick, evil entity which threatens the security of the world is pure fantasy.

A Dying Breed said:
I don't understand how you can think we are more threatened today by guys with box cutters and car bombs, and a couple backward states with questionable capabilities, than we were by the Cold War.

There is ONE major factor which might kill this argument: the old Cold War states were, ultimately, lead by (mostly) rational beings (regardless of how much one might despise their idealogies).
Can the same be said, however, of irrational uber-religious types who value death - their own deaths - more than life?

Although these folks are far less likely to acquire a nuke than said Cold War states (who obviously did possess them), they're unique in that they'd probably resort to their use without any regard for their "state"....these folks are loyal to God, not a state or a political idealogy.

SoundMaster said:
There is ONE major factor which might kill this argument: the old Cold War states were, ultimately, lead by (mostly) rational beings (regardless of how much one might despise their idealogies).
Can the same be said, however, of irrational uber-religious types who value death - their own deaths - more than life?

Although these folks are far less likely to acquire a nuke than said Cold War states (who obviously did possess them), they're unique in that they'd probably resort to their use without any regard for their "state"....these folks are loyal to God, not a state or a political idealogy.

The grunts in these movements are obviously stupid enough, but I think the leadership has actually shown itself to be quite clever and rational, when you look at how effectively they've been able to manipulate the media and such. They have to understand that a nuclear attack on an American city would basically be the end of the Middle East. No, these guys are trying to beat us using classic guerrilla tactics they learned in Afghanistan.

A Dying Breed said:
They have to understand that a nuclear attack on an American city would basically be the end of the Middle East. No, these guys are trying to beat us using classic guerrilla tactics they learned in Afghanistan.

I guess this is the ultimate question: is a bin Laden, ultimately, working for a total political end (with religion as the means to an end), or is religion the end unto itself?

it's impossible to know conclusively.

A Dying Breed said:

I specifically said "ask the leaders" because your average Joe (European, American, whatever) doesn't know shit about global politics, so such polls tell us nothing. I really don't understand what you mean to describe when you refer to the "cold war system", but I don't see much of anything that benefits the first world coming apart at the seams. NATO still exists and figures prominently into European security, globalization has been largely institutionalized, and we now have the EU (a facet of globalization, which would have been impossible without the presence of the US following WWII.) Again, I don't care that 80% of people in Slovakia are opposed to the Euro, because they know jack shit.

In the Cold War we approached the brink of nuclear holocaust on multiple occasions. By contrast, the terrorists we face today have extremely limited capabilities, and in addition to that, Europe has been dealing with various forms of terrorism for decades- it's nothing new. North Korea just makes a lot of noise meant to bring the West to the negotiating table, not to mention that their missiles are shit anyway. Poverty has declined worldwide since the Cold War. Here, have a link. http://www.iie.com/publications/newsreleases/newsrelease.cfm?id=83

I don't understand how you can think we are more threatened today by guys with box cutters and car bombs, and a couple backward states with questionable capabilities, than we were by the Cold War. It just doesn't add up. I do understand that there have been significant failures, although I would like to point out that many of the problems faced by the Middle East and Africa are rooted in European colonialism, rather than US policy. I think Iraq was a mistake. I think our support for Israel is a mistake. I think Bush's "axis of evil" thing was really stupid. But the characterization of the US as this big, maverick, evil entity which threatens the security of the world is pure fantasy.

The US remains a distasteful bully. Most of my main worries, Speeds also - I believe, are rooted in the fact that civil liberties are declining in the US almost weekly, and that Bush remains a money hungry fool who serves only himself and his rich friends. Also, surely it is folly to totally disregard any portraits that paint American foreign policy as brutish and selfish?

A Dying Breed said:

First, I must say welcome to the board A Dying Breed. I'm enjoying your comments, as they're rather intelligent and you have a fresh perspective.

Still, almost every statement you've made in this post (besides the last comments), I disagree with (do either one of us know the truth? Well no).

First, in regards to leaders of other countries: how many allies went to Iraq with us? 29 are there now, and they include countries with no military presence. Really only Britain has any presence at all on the ground. The rest have a handful of soldiers. NATO is almost useless, and we've run roughshod over the U.N., trade agreements, environmental pacts, international law, the international diplomatic process. I do think the leaders of every country but Britain (Tony Blair), are probably cursing America at every chance.

Second, you know after the cuban missile crisis, there was a direct line from the white house to the kremlin. Both countries knew they'd bring about each others, and the worlds, destruction. Today, if one of these bombs gets in the hands of some terrorist group, or North Korea, Iran etc, whats to stop using one of them if they're threatened? I know many intelligence experts have stated over the last few years, that we're in a much more dangerous time than ever before.

Third, you make a good point about colonialism, but U.S.---through the world bank and IMF--mandated austerity programs that opened up African, South American and Asian markets to American goods and investment, privatized industry, shed social services, and disallowed countries from going into any kind of debt. Not one of these programs ever worked.

As I said previously, the sooner Bush and his co-horts are gone, the better for the U.S. and the world. U.S being a distasteful bully is complete and utter bullshit. Ask the people who are alive still from WW2 and 1, if the U.S. was not involved then, where would Europe be now. I can understand those who are disgusted and angry with Bush, (hell, I am and fought for this country) our credibility throughout the world has suffered because of this greedy buffoon. Stop bashing the U.S. Remember, there are 2 sides to a war. Japan, must also take responsibility for the death of their innocent civilians. If you do not accept and realize that, well, you have let the "media machines" in you respective countries force-feed you garbage. Think for yourselves.

I think that is a fairly black and white viewpoint. The U.S is an economic and social bully, regardless of what party/administration is in power.

Also, nobody doubts the contribution of America during the world wars, but it has been post WWII that the military industrial complex has arose, and the US is not beyond reproach purely thanks to its contributions to the subjugation of the Nazi jackboot.

The alternative media are as bias as the mainstream, and I tend to avoid media machinations as much as possible. It is from an objective standpoint I see the danger the US poses, not from some one dimensional hippy approach to Bush and his axis of evil.

BloodSword said:
As I said previously, the sooner Bush and his co-horts are gone, the better for the U.S. and the world. U.S being a distasteful bully is complete and utter bullshit. Ask the people who are alive still from WW2 and 1, if the U.S. was not involved then, where would Europe be now. I can understand those who are disgusted and angry with Bush, (hell, I am and fought for this country) our credibility throughout the world has suffered because of this greedy buffoon. Stop bashing the U.S. Remember, there are 2 sides to a war. Japan, must also take responsibility for the death of their innocent civilians. If you do not accept and realize that, well, you have let the "media machines" in you respective countries force-feed you garbage. Think for yourselves.

I understand your comments here, but WWII was 60 years ago, and before the U.S. totally dominated the world stage and became an imperialistic power. Our actions since have been that of "the" imperial power, and are quite condescending.

I think that was fine as long as we kept close relations and friendships with the rest of the world--especially the first world--and when we had common interests (freedom from Communism/tyranny, free trade, economic prosperity). But since the end of the Cold War, alot of the shared interests were lost, and this was fine with Bush I and Clinton, as diplomacy saw to it that we kept our friends happy while we furthered our own interests. But since Bush II, and the new war on terror in addition to trade, law, and a gung-ho agree with us or else foreign policy, the rest of the world seems to have had enough of our hubris, and only deal with us, because of our raw power.

Still, I think the U.S. was instrumental in bringing about the most economically and materially prosperous age of mankind, without too much warfare. The question in regards to our current bumbling and foreign policy, whether the world will allow us to lead them the next 50 years? I dont have an answer.

speed said:
The question in regards to our current bumbling and foreign policy, whether the world will allow us to lead them the next 50 years? I dont have an answer.

I’ve read recently that the EU’s combined GDP is approximately 98% of the U.S.’s and that their combined military force – in sheer manpower - is as large as America’s (the one main setback is that their weaponry isn’t quite as advanced). With that said, the EU may not need – or want - to be lead by America as they’ve been the past 50 years. Will the EU continue to need American protection? I don’t think so. Currently, why expend money, manpower, and political capital when you KNOW America will do the dirty work for you?

This may very well be another contributing factor in the current admin’s “my way or the highway” rush to hegemony. Perhaps it’s basically a case of “get what you can while you can”?

Let’s NOT IGNORE the fact that in 2000 Saddam Hussein announced that Iraqi oil would be traded in Euros and not the dollar which would have significantly impacted the dollar’s worth (this little tidbit is what ultimately sealed his fate). Sure enough, in mid-2003, Iraqi oil exports were once again traded in U.S. dollars.

speed said:
First, in regards to leaders of other countries: how many allies went to Iraq with us? 29 are there now, and they include countries with no military presence. Really only Britain has any presence at all on the ground. The rest have a handful of soldiers. NATO is almost useless, and we've run roughshod over the U.N., trade agreements, environmental pacts, international law, the international diplomatic process. I do think the leaders of every country but Britain (Tony Blair), are probably cursing America at every chance.

How is NATO "almost useless?" It's playing a significant role in Afghanistan right now, but if that's not good enough for you, look at the Balkans. They can curse Bush's environmental policy or whatever, but that's frankly insignificant in relation to the role the US plays in European security. Europe understands that in the big picture it benefits from US power.

Second, you know after the cuban missile crisis, there was a direct line from the white house to the kremlin. Both countries knew they'd bring about each others, and the worlds, destruction. Today, if one of these bombs gets in the hands of some terrorist group, or North Korea, Iran etc, whats to stop using one of them if they're threatened? I know many intelligence experts have stated over the last few years, that we're in a much more dangerous time than ever before.

Most experts I've read argue that the current threat is greatly overblown. I'm surprised you hold this viewpoint, as it seems to justify the Bush doctrine (pre-emption.) Are you worried about whacko homegrown nationalist types like Tim McVeigh getting ahold of a nuke? Because that kind of fear seems to justify attacking any and every remotely hostile country that could potentially develop such weapons. This is the logic behind the Iraq war to a T (aside from the neo-con strategic goals; SoundMaster made some insightful comments about that.)

Third, you make a good point about colonialism, but U.S.---through the world bank and IMF--mandated austerity programs that opened up African, South American and Asian markets to American goods and investment, privatized industry, shed social services, and disallowed countries from going into any kind of debt. Not one of these programs ever worked.

As with all things, it is more complicated than "the programs failed." For example, a large part of the African population (generalizing, it's a big continent) is what we refer to as "uncaptured peasantry." Meaning, they're agricultural types with little motivation to enter into a modernizing, industrial economy. Simply mobilizing human resources in this scenario presents a big problem. I was more referring to the conflict in these regions anyhow, stemming back from the way in which these places were carved up by imperialist powers with no respect for traditional or ethnic boundaries.

In any case I'm not sure we're getting anywhere here. We seem to be looking at (mostly) the same thing, you're calling it a cat, and I'm calling it a dog. Maybe in 20 years it will become clearer who's right.

A Dying Breed said:
How is NATO "almost useless?" It's playing a significant role in Afghanistan right now, but if that's not good enough for you, look at the Balkans. They can curse Bush's environmental policy or whatever, but that's frankly insignificant in relation to the role the US plays in European security. Europe understands that in the big picture it benefits from US power.

Most experts I've read argue that the current threat is greatly overblown. I'm surprised you hold this viewpoint, as it seems to justify the Bush doctrine (pre-emption.) Are you worried about whacko homegrown nationalist types like Tim McVeigh getting ahold of a nuke? Because that kind of fear seems to justify attacking any and every remotely hostile country that could potentially develop such weapons. This is the logic behind the Iraq war to a T (aside from the neo-con strategic goals; SoundMaster made some insightful comments about that.)

As with all things, it is more complicated than "the programs failed." For example, a large part of the African population (generalizing, it's a big continent) is what we refer to as "uncaptured peasantry." Meaning, they're agricultural types with little motivation to enter into a modernizing, industrial economy. Simply mobilizing human resources in this scenario presents a big problem. I was more referring to the conflict in these regions anyhow, stemming back from the way in which these places were carved up by imperialist powers with no respect for traditional or ethnic boundaries.

In any case I'm not sure we're getting anywhere here. We seem to be looking at (mostly) the same thing, you're calling it a cat, and I'm calling it a dog. Maybe in 20 years it will become clearer who's right.

Yes, we're keeping a intellectually stimulating argument alive with our power of critical thinking. It is getting kind of stale, but Im enjoying it.

After Kosovo, there was much discussion on the usefulness of NATO, an organization created to protect Western Europe from the Russians. Remember, Russia was trying to join, and most were calling NATO a relic, and no longer all that important (in fact, it was all but accepted, that NATO was pretty much just America and Britain). The addition of Eastern European Countries, and their willingness to add a few thousand troops to Afghanistan, has not been very important or decisive. I would be very suspect of NATO's role in Afghanistan--not doing too well over there are they?

You do make an excellent point about how this thought of terrorists with bombs and rogue states with nukes, allows for pre-emption. But I still think its a fact of life in todays world, and the direct result of 60 years (especially the last 30) of largely failed and arrogant American foreign policy, that has created such rogue states and terrorists (remember our fumbling and bumbling with the Shah that led to the Ayatollah? our support of the mujhadeen?). But unlike Bush and boys, I think the only way to deal with such threats, is to change American foreign policy; not by invading. We need to win back their hearts and minds by listening to them, and using reason to discover why and what we can do to change the perception of America to the rest of the world.

As for Africa: you argue that colonialism is the real cause, as well as Africa's reluctance to accept modernization. Those are interesting claims, that I think are minor ancillary issues, to the bigger problems of Economic austerity programs and the transition away from Colonialism into self-rule. Remember A Dying Breed, that almost all African economies were growing quite rapidly up until the late 70's. But this growth, like ours presently, came largely at the expense of borrowing--especially since until the late 70's and early 80's most industry etc, was nationalized and owned by the government, and each country has large public sectors and social programs. It wasnt until the late 70's and early 80's when these countries went into debt, that these austerity and free trade programs were forced upon almost every country, and in effect, they forced each country to sell off their nationalised industries, dismantle the public sector including spending on health and education, and open each market to western goods. Since then, All of SubSaharan Africa has experienced negative economic growth. The same thing happened in South America and the Middle East. There is a plethora of literature out there, about this. Or better yet, talk to someone from one of these countries.

As for colonialism, it can be argued that indeed, many of these countries were safer, and experienced greater growth under colonialism, and suffered serious growing pains when they were granted independence. All were unprepared for independence. These countries didnt have any experience in ruling themselves, creating transparent and stable governments and bureacracy. In fact, in this case, you sound like a Lenin-ist, and I like a conservative. You blame colonialism, where I think it was a benefit to Africa (well where the British were at least--the French are a different story), but the transition was entirely lacking. Again, I urge you to consult a intelligent African on this subject.

So again, I think we have some major disagreements here, and on Africa, I am rather comfortable in my position. As for the rest, well, who knows.

Why all those people keep living in democracy and ranting about it instead of living to their words and move into some of great undemocratic societies? I have noticed that a lot of these people like theory about survival of the fittest, Nazi stuff etc. So by the same merits, democracy has proven that it is best solution because it rules the world in a way right now and democratic societies have greatest achievements in civilized world. So ranting is inconsistent. Also if something does not works in democratic society does that in turn means that democracy is wrong or that there is a flow in a way in which democracy is implemented? Also what a fuck has a democracy to do with american society in 1945? USA was not very democratic and free until 70's.

A Dying Breed said:
Not at all. Strong European union is not something USA would like, and uses discrete methods to destabilize it. By keeping NATO and slowing developement of European Union Army, by keeping close Britany as their tool, by destabilizing balcan region at one point (Germany and european union was willing to protect Yugoslavia as one unified country that was more developed at the time than Bulgaria or Rumania, and had greater potential than any other country in region, but at the sime time USA destabilized it intentionaly by various means. I don't think that USA likes idea of Europe as new financial and military super power at all.

This may be off-topic. I certainly never meant to inflame anyone on here in any way. The U.S. may be percieved as a bully in world matters and we are not well-liked. I can understand that. But, to those Americans on this board, ask yourself , is there another country you would rather live in? I would not. And the populace of other countries, are your governments doing as much as they should in world matters? This may appear as an easy way out to some, but my realization is we are all human beings and we are not infallible. Mankind, has and always will blunder. Who will clean up the mess? Instead of pointing fingers, we should look for ways to live in peace and understanding. Compared to others abilities to write on this board, I am not as good. I think I can get my point across though. Experience, has always been the best teacher for me. Peace.

Dushan S said:
Why all those people keep living in democracy and ranting about it instead of living to their words and move into some of great undemocratic societies? I have noticed that a lot of these people like theory about survival of the fittest, Nazi stuff etc. So by the same merits, democracy has proven that it is best solution because it rules the world in a way right now and democratic societies have greatest achievements in civilized world. So ranting is inconsistent. Also if something does not works in democratic society does that in turn means that democracy is wrong or that there is a flow in a way in which democracy is implemented? Also what a fuck has a democracy to do with american society in 1945? USA was not very democratic and free until 70's.

Yes, good to point out the hypocrisy. I'm quite guilty of it myself; but again, I live in this so-called democracy, and I work in government supposedly for elected and appointed officials, so...I'm terribly biased.

And as long as one wasnt black, gay, or a woman (although they could vote), the american government and law, was actually much more democratic and representative in 1945 than it is today. Weird how that works isnt it? So if one was black, gay, or a woman, your supposition is indeed quite correct.

And as for Bloodsword: I do believe the American government and idea of America is still the best thing Man has acheived in the government sphere, but as Ive noted in my criticisms, great things have and do become tarnished with time, arrogance, and corruption. I'd much rather live in Europe as the quality of life (not economic opportunity) is much higher. I like the spirit of life in South America; but there are other problems.

BloodSword said:
But, to those Americans on this board, ask yourself , is there another country you would rather live in? I would not.

At this stage of development, there are easily a dozen nations that offer its citizens a slightly better "quality of life"...or one that is, at the very least, on par with ours.
I'm not saying I want to leave (or that other nations would even want me/us), but the old glory days of America being the lone, shining city perched atop the hill are in the past. Of course, the American brand of democ/capitalism helped make that so.

BloodSword said:
(...) But, to those Americans on this board, ask yourself, is there another country you would rather live in? I would not. And the populace of other countries, are your governments doing as much as they should in world matters?
(..)
Who will clean up the mess? Instead of pointing fingers, we should look for ways to live in peace and understanding.

I'm not a US citizen and I surely would not want to live in the USA. My country isn't doing as much as they should in the world, I'll admit that, but at least it is not directly involved in causing armed conflict either... At least not yet!!

In my opinion, the only way to have true lasting peace would be to have 1 united world nation where all are equal. It's not going to happen in a near futur...

speed said:
Yes, good to point out the hypocrisy. I'm quite guilty of it myself; but again, I live in this so-called democracy, and I work in government supposedly for elected and appointed officials, so...I'm terribly biased.

And as long as one wasnt black, gay, or a woman (although they could vote), the american government and law, was actually much more democratic and representative in 1945 than it is today. Weird how that works isnt it? So if one was black, gay, or a woman, your supposition is indeed quite correct.
That is kind of logical, right? If you need to use same law for people that have been considered "lesser" and people applying low are from the "higher" part of society law is not always applied in a right way... I am also not anti-usa oriented (even if I dislike what USA goverment has done at numerous occasions all those world-police crap) because I am aware that someone has to be a policeman, or that there has to be a balance of powers... I guess that in near future a lot of things will change, and that there will be not two blocks but few of them, Russia is again becoming strong slowly, China, European union as an entity. I do think it is a good thing, better than cold world situation or current situation where USA tries to desparately protects its interests in very agressive way and control everything everywere. I even do think that it will relieve USA and let it pay more attention to its own social and financial problems.

speed said:
A lot of stuff

I had quite the robust reply, but then the site got fucked right as I was posting it. So here are the cliff notes.

NATO is good because it provides a structure which grants international legitimacy to its operations, in addition to codifying common defense. On its face this may not seem like much, but politically it is very important. And as far as I know, Russia has never wanted to join NATO.

On the good will and understanding approach to foreign policy. I'm all for adjusting our approach to the Middle East, particularly Israel/Palestine. But I don't see how communication and reason will help us deal with a character like Kim Jong Il. You present a picture of an urgent threat, and as its solution, you seem to suggest extreme timidness, taking great pains not to piss anyone off who might be able to develop WMD. I would argue that this is not feasible or desirable, North Korea being a good example of a situation in which that is the case.

On Africa. If you look at today's African economies, many are still dominated by the export of raw natural resources (minerals, rubber, shit like that) and subsistence farming. This traces back to the colonizers, who set set up economies designed to extract natural resources and do little else, for obvious reasons. Certain raw materials, such as those required by industry, have decreased in value since the 70s and 80s, partially accounting for the decline. I'm sure you realize that in today's global economy, exporting raw goods, subsistence farming, and manufacturing almost nothing is not a recipe for success. Of course, some countries have oil, and they have fared better. As such, my argument is that, while our policy has not been extremely helpful, this is largely based on a lack of potential in the region to begin with.

As far as colonialism being a good thing, I really don't see it. It left these countries uprepared for independence, as you say. It also left a legacy of extreme brutality (the machete dismemberment Norsemaiden likes to point to as evidence of African genetic inferiority), ethnic strife, a tendency towards corruption, nepotism, dictatorship that was inhereted from colonial administrators, and poorly structured economies.

Funny that you mention the intelligent African thing, as it so happens that most of this was presented to me by a Nigerian professor, who is a very intelligent and knowledgable man.

Dushan S said:
Not at all. Strong European union is not something USA would like, and uses discrete methods to destabilize it. By keeping NATO and slowing developement of European Union Army, by keeping close Britany as their tool, by destabilizing balcan region at one point (Germany and european union was willing to protect Yugoslavia as one unified country that was more developed at the time than Bulgaria or Rumania, and had greater potential than any other country in region, but at the sime time USA destabilized it intentionaly by various means. I don't think that USA likes idea of Europe as new financial and military super power at all.

How has the US tried to destablize the EU, or for that matter the Balkans? I call complete bullshit. How exactly was Germany and the EU planning to "protect" Yugoslavia from itself? Its "great potential" had been sapped by economic collapse (the loss of massive amounts of aid from the Soviet Union, poor administration among other things) which largely created the conditions for the ethnic strife there. Please present concrete evidence of the US destabilizing the Balkans. As far as the EU, efforts at creating an EU military force have been extremely half-hearted, and hardly reflect a genuine desire to break free of reliance on American protection. Actually, it seems as though France in particular is keen on developing forces independent of those of the US mainly for the purpose of African adventurism in its former colonies (GASP!). I would add that Britain, far from being an American tool, has consciously recognized that it is in its own best interests to keep the US close to Europe. The notion that the US "keeps" NATO against Europe's will is pure horse manure my friend. In fact, France left NATO (I think it was in the 70s) and then came back.