Ahh, here you all go...the interview I did!!!

Fenrir13

safe in the cornfields
Well, it came back to me and I transcribed it right, yay! (for those who don't know, I let whoever i interviewed see it first to make sure i didnt' fuck it up). I hope ya all enjoy it!!

Face to Face Interview with Alexi Laiho:

On Aug. 30th, I arrived at the Trocadero for my fourth in person interview I've ever done. Quite early. I was introduced to the band throughout the day; starting with a rather amusing experience when guitarist Roope Latvala(after talking with him awhile and visiting a music store with him) brings me on the bus with the rest of the band having no clue who I was yet. After an introduction, and me breaking the ice with an utterly retarded Tower Records story, it was all uphill from there. Having bonded over videogames, guitars and the like earlier in the day(and shooting the live photos of them), and getting hooked up with an all access pass to shoot photos from sidestage(thanks again, guys!), I got to sit down with guitarist/vocalist Alexi Laiho for this interview(after their killer set, and supplying them with water that the venues around here like to stiff on); which i must say went very well! (And for the record: to all US venues: Give the goddamn bands that tour here enough water for fuck's sake!!! You know how dehydrated one gets from being onstage??)

Fenrir: First off, I wanna thank you....I am here with Alexi from Children of Bodom. I wanna thank you for this interview, and first off; how are you doing tonight?

Alexi Laiho: I'm ok. I mean, i've felt better before sometimes-but i'm ok; though...I was just so totally dehydrated and tired. Hungover, and shit like that-which is totally my own fault and it's totally ok with me. It was a good show, though; you know, amazing crowd, I felt good about it. That's the only thing that matters.

Fenrir: Cool! How's the whole tour been going?

Alexi: Been going good so far. Been packed every single night, Iced Earth, you know, they pull a lot of people everywhere, and yeah, I mean we have no problems with any of the other bands or anything; everyone's been getting along, so yeah! it's going pretty good.

Fenrir: Your setlist that you're doing, are you sticking to one, or are you switching it up at all?

Alexi: Actually, we just added a song-we just figured out that we had like 45 minutes, and I think for the first 7 shows we did only 8 songs, and they told us 'you know, you guys actually have time for one more song.' So we just added Hate Crew Deathroll from there. I don't know if we are going to change it, though. Maybe at some point, but I think it works pretty good right now. So, maybe we will change it at some point; but i'm not sure yet.

Fenrir: Alrighty! Of course, I have to ask...are there any plans for a US headlining tour?

Alexi: Well, not yet....I think the thing is, we gotta tour a bit here as an opening act for a band that actually pulls a lot of people, and you know, if they dig it, they're gonna buy the albums, and if we sell enough albums then we're gonna come here as headliner. But i don't think it's time for that yet.

Fenrir: Man, I heard the crowd out there. The entire crowd was chanting "Bodom!!"

Alexi: Yeah, it was crazy! They were fuckin' awesome, too.

Fenrir: What have been some of your favorite US cities to play in, the past couple times you've been here?

Alexi: New York, Philly-it was really good the last time, too, definately...LA, Chicago, Milwaukee, I think Tampa was a pretty good show, but we're not going to play there this time, though. And Canada, Toronto and Montreal are just awesome there're really good, you know.

Fenrir: So far, how is touring in the US different from touring in Europe?

Alexi: Well, you don't get water, you don't get enough food...and you don't get soundchecks.

Fenrir: You guys didn't get a soundcheck?

Alexi: No...this is a US tour. Of course it's different, it's like, in the rest of the world, we're used to headlining...it's like, this is actually good for us to be the fuckin' act that doesn't get shit...know what i mean? we just...we were too used to getting all the...we took everything for granted, we got anything we wanted, like that-in here, pretty much we don't get shit, you know...except for sometimes for some nice people who buy us booze...but, anyway...

Fenrir: *chuckle* (note: I wonder how long it lasted?-fen)

Alexi: But, i don't know...that's about it- but of course, you know, the crowds are pretty much like European, but in here, if they get wild, then they really fucking get wild-and they're crazier, definately than european bands definately, the audience, i mean-like that pit right over there, that was fucking crazy!

Fenrir: You get hurt!

Alexi: Yeah, definately!

Fenrir: Cause i remember, when I went overseas on a two-day trip on the No Mercy fest, they not only had enough food for everyone on the tour, but for me, and i was totally extra, I was able to take a shower...

Alexi: Oh yeah! No showers, that's like the main thing...no showers.

Fenrir: Yeah, I apologize for ALL bands that tour in america, that these poor bands have to live in shit!! *during rant, Alexi is chuckling*

Alexi: Yeah, it's not your fault, though...

Fenrir: *laughter*

Alexi: It's like, you know, like anything that has to do with water, you don't get it-no water, no showers. You get Coke.

Fenrir: *in fake southern accent* Well, dem European boys, they drink beer over there! We just give 'em a bunch of beer! They'll like it!

Alexi: Oh, we do! That's the thing, we do-but we fucking need water as well. And showers.

Fenrir: Yeah, as much as we'd like to live off beer...

Alexi: Yeah, I mean, i've been washing my hair in the sink for the past five days or something like that.

Fenrir: If I could loan you a shower dude, I would. I'm sorry.*laughter from both sides*

Alexi: that's ok though. You know? just stick your head in the goddamn sink and go for it.

Fenrir: Alrighty. Moving off of tours, can you tell us anything about the EP coming out?

Alexi: I think it's coming out in July, maybe-it's got two new songs and two cover songs, and...the thing is, i think it's coming out as a DVD single, it's got the video for Sixpounder, a new video for one of the new songs, the then audio tracks, and a bunch of shit back in Helsinki being completely drunk and stupid, funny stuff, definately.

Fenrir: of course!

Alexi: Musically, I think...it is different, but then again, it's the same shit we've always had...i'm sure that people are gonna be like...I think at least the other new song will be a little controversial, in a way, with what people are gonna say...i'm pretty sure people are gonna be like "what the fuck..." some people might just be like "this doesn't sound like Children of Bodom..." that it's too different...but that's just how it turned out. We don't plan anything, you know...it just came out natural.

Fenrir: You just gotta do what you feel.

Alexi: Yeah, exactly.

Fenrir: Are the cover songs kept secret till it's released?

Alexi: Well, I can tell you the other one-it's Alice Cooper's "Bed of Nails".

Fenrir: Very cool!

Alexi: But, the thing is, the other one isn't decided yet.

Fenrir: Oh, ok! So it's not recorded yet, then?

Alexi: Well, recorded, yeah...but we got two options...and I'm not sure which one it is.

Fenrir: ahh, ok! I was wondering what that was, i couldn't find it anywhere...alright! You heard it first on Metalwhore, people! *more all around laughter* Now, what about the next full-length Bodom album? Any plans for that, any tentative ideas?

Alexi: The next album?

Fenrir: Yeah, the next full-length.

Alexi: Yeah, i mean the thing is, we've just been touring so much...we've just gotta be done with the touring thing first...pretty much, this tour, a bunch of festivals, and a South American tour...then we're done touring with this album. Then we'll concentrate on writing new music that we're probably gonna record in Janurary or February or something like that.

Fenrir: Same studio and producer?

Alexi: I don't know yet. That all hasn't been decided.

Fenrir: Now, Roope...he does play on the DVD single, correct?

Alexi: Yes.

Fenrir: Do you know if he's going to play on the new album or not?

Alexi: I don't know...he's still a session member, but he's been around for awhile though...

Fenrir: He's been in the scene forever...

Alexi: Yeah. So, I don't know...but probably, yeah.

Fenrir: Ahh, ok! Another thing...are you looking forward to playing Wacken this year?

Alexi: Hell yeah! That's always fun.

Fenrir: Yeah, Darkthrone's supposed to be joining Satyricon onstage

Alexi: Really??

Fenrir: Well, Nocturnal Culto and Satyricon are supposed to play some Darkthrone songs.

Alexi: Well, that's cool!

Fenrir: Yeah, it's supposed to be the last time they do it.

Alexi: Well, that is cool! i'll want to see that...

Fenrir: Yeah, i'm a big fan of Darkthrone myself...

Alexi: Same for me! I really like Darkthrone...so that should be cool, i want to see that...

Fenrir: Now, how do you feel how influential you are as a band? I mean, it seemed to me that almost immediately you had a decent influence on some band's sounds that came out...

Alexi: Like what?

Fenrir: Not totally like....i hear some underground american bands...

Alexi: There are a couple of Finnish bands...

Fenrir: Yeah, some Finnish bands that have...I mean yeah, a lot of these bands been around for awhile already...

Alexi: Well, I mean, some bands, the musicians are actually taking influence from our music...i think it's just flattering, and that's it. It's not like we get pissed off or anything.

Fenrir: That's cool.

Alexi: Yeah, it's ok with me.

Fenrir: Cool!

Alexi: I mean, everybody's been taking their influence from somewhere.

Fenrir: Right on down the line. In black metal, you have people influenced by Emperor and Darkthrone, and some of them were influenced by Celtic Frost, Bathory, and Venom...

Alexi: Yeah, it just goes on forever.

Fenrir: Mozart...

Alexi: Fuckin' Elvis.

Fenrir: Elvis, the classical guys...

Alexi: Of course, yeah!

Fenrir: So, has Bodom you feel changed at all since the Inearthed days? I notice Inearthed had a slightly different sound, just for me...I could tell, but it had a slightly different sound. How do you feel like you kinda matured, do you think you have?

Alexi: Well, yeah. I mean, we were young as hell...and even when the first album came out, I just turned 18, our bass player was 17, and of course we've improved as musicians-and i think i've improved as a songwriter as well-which is...I think it's more...I'm not regretting anything we've done in the past because it was part of that time period, but i'll just say that our music makes more sense now. You can say that.

Fenrir: Ok! As a statement, i'd like to say that I know you guys are known for hanging out with your fans a lot-drinking with them, having fun with them...as a statement, I appreciate it, I hear all the fans say how much they appreciate it, and just how good and down to earth you guys are. Do you think that's important for a band?

Alexi: I mean, for us...it's just a natural thing to do. It's like...first of all, it's our job, our responsibility to make sure people are having fun. So when we go out there, if people aren't having a good time, then we fucked up. We did something wrong. But when people are having fun when we play, you know, then we're having fun. It's kind of a natural thing for us, that we're partying, and we like to hang out with people. You meet a lot of cool people, a lot of nice people, and yeah, it's just all about having fun.

Fenrir: I know now...i heard stories before, but i know now...you are an extremely polite person, and everything...

Alexi: Really?

Fenrir: Yeah.

Alexi: It depends on who i'm talking to. If someone is being nice to me, then i'm nice to them.

Fenrir: Yeah, i was gonna ask...how do you feel about some of the people...who lets say like to talk things that they shouldn't be talking about...those people who like to say talk shit...

Alexi: Well, i fucking hate that shit. I really do. I mean, People...bunch of people like to spread a bunch of rumors about me doing some weird shit...like the internet and stuff like that, and i'm like 'you know, what a fucking bunch of get a life nerds.' So you know, seriously, fuck 'em. Like i said, if somebody's being nice to me, like for example, you are...so I wanna be nice to you. You know? but if someone's being a dick to me i'm going to be a dick to them, that's for sure.

Fenrir: I'm the same way. I treat people the way i wanna be treated; and i treat them back the way they treat me.

Alexi: Yeah, exactly. But I can be a fucking asshole, but i can be very nice, too.

Fenrir: Ok, cool! thanks! Are there any other projects you're working on? Or just Children of Bodom and Sinergy?

Alexi: Yeah, that's pretty much it. Well, i did this one punk rock thing, actually, it was just four songs that some finnish dudes...it was just a fun thing to do.

Fenrir: the one with the guys from Klamydia and To/Die/For?

Alexi: Yeah, exactly!

Fenrir: Cause Klamydia's awesome!

Alexi: Have you heard them?

Fenrir: Yes!

Alexi: that's funny that you dig 'em!

Fenrir: Yeah man, I can just like, get drunk to them! It's great!

Alexi: Yeah!

Fenrir: Ok, here's a slightly off topic question...i know now...it's an endorsment question, i figured i'd get an equipment question in...I know you're endorsed by ESP...if Jackson ever offered you a really sweet deal, would you ever go back to them?

Alexi: They did. They did like 3 times already.

Fenrir: Really?

Alexi: Yeah. They did. You know? the thing is, when that whole thing happened, when my guitars were stolen, they didn't give a fuck. Ok, i was never really endorsed by them...like I have done so much stuff for Jackson, you know...promoting for free, saying 'i play Jackson guitars', on the album covers. I just got discounts from the shop, in Helsinki, were importing Jackson at that time. But anyway, when Jackson changed owners to Fender, they didn't give a fuck, and you know ESP, they just hooked me up like that. And then, it was a funny thing, when i got my ESP guitars, a guy from Jackson called me up and was like 'yeah, i heard what happened, you want us to make guitars for you?" I'm like-it's too fucking late right now. You didn't give a shit back then, so fuck you.

Fenrir: I can feel about guitars being stolen; my first guitar was stolen.

Alexi: Oh, really?

Fenrir: Yeah, a custom. worked on it for 6 years. I know how that feels.

Alexi: Oh, that Sucks!!

Fenrir: I'm like "what do you mean, it's NOT THERE???"

Alexi: The fucking...seriously...this will probably never happen, but if I EVER, fucking catch that son of a bitch who did it....he's gonna get it...

Fenrir: I'd like to be there with a video camera.

Alexi: Yeah! Well, if I ever find out who it is...if it's he or she, i don't even care...i'll tie them up...

Fenrir: Kick 'em in the head a few times.

Alexi: Yeah! *some laughter around*

Fenrir: I feel the same way. Especially when you form such a bond with your guitars and stuff.

Alexi: Yeah, sucks...

Fenrir: I have to say...How do you feel about the whole Lake Bodom thing, about how they might have caught the guy?

Alexi: It's pretty crazy! I mean, 44 years...after...I never thought it was that guy, I guess they had a lot of evidence, you know...but he hasn't been convicted yet. So it's not 100% sure exactly.

Fenrir: They're just holding him?

Alexi: Yeah. But, it's fucking wierd, though!

Fenrir: We have one of our own...the boy in the box. Boy was found in a box; like in the 50s or 60s, they only just id'd him and have no leads on his killer.

Alexi: Really? Yeah, that is crazy.

Fenrir: Now I gotta ask some fun questions for ya!

Alexi: All right!

Fenrir: What is the Ultimate Metal Car?

Alexi: Metal car?

Fenrir: Yes. I know mine, i'll tell ya after you tell yours.

Alexi: Well...it's a Pontiac Firebird for sure!

Fenrir: Yeah!!! I was gonna say mine is the 78 or 79 t-top firebird with the phoenix on the hood...

Alexi: Yeah??

Fenrir: cinderblock in the back seat...

Alexi: Oh yeah! fuckin' a!

Fenrir: Old Iron Maiden shirt balled up in the seat...

Alexi: No way!

Fenrir: the stereo costs more than the car...bunch of old beer bottles in the back...

Alexi: That's cool!!

Fenrir: yeah.

Alexi: I had an '88 Firebird, i still own it, but it's been in the garage in awhile...got a little fucked up...but I have a '74 Dodge Monaco...which is, you know the cop car from Blues Brothers?

Fenrir: Yeah!

Alexi: That fucking ride's just badass, though. I still have to say though, the Pontiac Firebird is still the ultimate heavy metal car.

Fenrir: Thank you for saying that. Me and some friends were debating, "what is it?" my one friend says "camero!" I'm like "fuck you, it's a firebird!"

Alexi: Ahh, fuck that man! it's a Firebird, for sure!

Fenrir: Someone else busts out with "vw van!" i'm like "thats a HIPPIE van!!"

Alexi: *laughing*

Fenrir: I HAD to ask that. Now, any good games you've been playing?

Alexi: Well, Silent Hill 3...I think I played Vice City all the way through like 10 times...and right before I came on the tour I started playing it from the beginning again...i can't get enough of it! It's just so fucking cool.

Fenrir: V-Rock?

Alexi: Oh, yeah! Exactly. Yeah, you know, V-Rock, that's some funny shit. The commercials and everything like that. What else? Some driving games like Need for Speed.

Fenrir: If you could be on a dream tour, what would it be? What bands would be on it with you?

Alexi: Well, I wouldn't mind playing on Ozzfest or something like that, with a bunch of cool bands...and of course that Ozzy would be the headliner...

Fenrir: He's fun live!

Alexi: Yeah, i've never seen him live...i've bought these concert tickets like 3 times, and it always fucks up...something happens, and it has to be cancelled...That sucks. but that'd be cool, though.

Fenrir: And i got the Desert Island question for ya. You have 6 things you can take on a desert island, what
would they be?

Alexi: 6 things?

Fenrir: 6 things. I'll be nice, i'll say a CD book counts as 1 thing.

Alexi: Alright. Well, a cd book, ghettoblaster...does it have to be a thing, could it be a person?

Fenrir: It can be a person.

Alexi: I'd bring a girl on there, for sure! And...as much booze as possible...that would be...

Fenrir: that can be one thing. Liquor cabinet..bar counts as one thing.

Alexi: Ok, bar! that's pretty good, i was thinking of that! Guitar...is that 6 things?

Fenrir: You have 5..you can fit the amp in there.

Alexi: Yeah, amp.

Fenrir: That's cool. I think that wraps it up! As i do with all my interviews, you can have any last words you want, just take this and talk into it.

Alexi: Yeah, just...fuckin' huge thank you for the people who came to see the show, it was an amazing crowd; we appreciate it, definately! Just drink beer and have fun!!

That was just too cool for words!!!
I just want to thank you so very much for sharing that. You sounded so calm and cool while asking him the questions...I wouldve been in such awe of being in his presence that I probably wouldve choked..lol!
Great interview!!!

....as I told you before...I wish you lots of fun, lots of beer, lots of rocking on your upcoming journey.

Take care :kickass: :kickass:

I do have it on tape. But sadly I don't have a way to transfer it at the moment. If I find a way to transfer it before Tuesday, I'll post it up, but things are a little hectic right now what with the packing and all. And if you heard me on tape, you'd hear some more hilarity; like me dropping my questions in a puddle of Coke and having to wing it the rest of the way. :lol:

And thanks for the comments!! :D it was actually probably the easiest of the few in person interviews I ever did; it was just more like talking than interviewing. I think it was made easier cause we hung out earlier in the day and got to know each other.

Fenrir: If I could loan you a shower dude, I would. I'm sorry.*laughter from both sides*

Alexi: that's ok though. You know? just stick your head in the goddamn sink and go for it.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

KICKASS dudette!!!!!! Honestly, that was one of the best, if not the best Alexi/COB interview I've ever read!!

"Alexi: I'd bring a girl [with me to the desert island], for sure!"

Hmmmmm......CAN SHE BRING SOME ART MATERIAL AND MAYBE A FEW LANTERNS WITH HER????? :D :D :Spin: :Spin:

Hey, to transfer something from a tape recorder.. you take a guitar cable and two 1/4" -> 1/8" adapters. Plug one end into the recorder headphone jack and the other end into the line in on your computer sound card. Then use a sound recording program and record to the line in.