Demons & Wizards new album review.

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Well fans of Iced Guardian and Blind Earth, the kids are back to give their special blend for the second time.

‘Crimson King’: starts very fast in the vein of the traditional Iced Earth riff, only I feel the double bass faster than in the previous album. The chorus is more in the vein of latest Blind Guardian releases. Exactly what you’ll expect a mixture of Iced Earth and Blind Guardian. But also sounds kind of thrashed in some parts going more to old BG.
I can perceive a lot of different things in the song I’ll say is, part power, part prog, part thrash, which makes it pretty interesting for merely 5:47

‘Beneath These Waves’: a more standard power song, fast, melodic, very potent in the riffing as expectable from Schaeffer. Kursch vocals reminds more of the days of “Somewhere Far Beyond”. At 3:34 turns into a soft melodic, semi-acoustic song all the way towards the end.

‘Terror Train’: with that name you can expect a riff like this. Again a lot of middle era BG with all the backup of IE, is the feeling. Strong power metal, nothing sugary here.

‘Seize The Day’: these sounds more like the first album. Is a mid-tempo semi-acoustic song, very nice and melodic. A hybrid between ‘Ghost Of Freedom’ and ‘And Then There Was Silence’, but not epic.

‘The Gunslinger’: starts very soft until 1:45 when it hits hard and fast. The bridge and the chorus have a really nice harmony, again very good power without the sugar.

‘Love’s Tragedy Asunder’: also starts soft to burst at 1:10 but more mid-tempo. Reminds me of ‘Under The Ice’ or ‘Age Of False Innocence’, I’ll say it has more of BG than IE this one, and works fine for me :D

‘Wicked Witch’: acoustic ballad. Beautiful harmonies flowing intertwined with layers of voices, great song in the proper place of the album.

‘Dorian’: is the longest song of the album. Starts pretty energetic and then changes to mid/slow tempo. Like the opener is a mix of power, prog, epic, like some stuff from “Horror Show” IMO. Not the most interesting song of the album either.

‘Down Where I Am’: goes also soft and acoustic until the middle when it takes force. The melody carries on pretty well and the chorus is catchy.

‘Immigrant Song: I’m not fan of LZ (sorry zeppie), and I have never liked this song in particular. One good thing is that Kursch is not trying to scream like Plant having his balls in a press, but the rest of the song is not an improvement of the original, nor a distinctive version to make it enjoyable. In a nutshell it could have been NOT made and no one would have care.

If you’re a fan of IE and/or BG you’ll like this album, it sounds less medieval than its predecessor but is good power metal. It may or not make the top ten 2005, but surely is not disappointing. I was ready to get it before hear it and I haven't change my mind.

Wyvern said:
Well fans of Iced Guardian and Blind Earth, the kids are back to give their special blend for the second time.

I've just downloaded it from Kerrazy, now I'm having a first listen...
Sounds promising so far! :headbang:
Oh yeah, and that Led Zep cover was totally unnecessary, I agree.
So bland and uninspired... And it didn't come close to the frantic Dark Angel cover... ;)

seems like most cover songs are pretty unnecessary.
Glad to hear that it they've changed the sound a bit and are not simply regurgitating the first album. Can't wait!

SickBoy said:
I've just downloaded it from Kerrazy, now I'm having a first listen...
Sounds promising so far! :headbang:
Oh yeah, and that Led Zep cover was totally unnecessary, I agree.
So bland and uninspired... And it didn't come close to the frantic Dark Angel cover... ;)

I got it there too :D, and indeed DA cover is way better compared side to side.