Demos from my band

Iblys

www.lucidfalls.com
Nov 20, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.toolband.com
http://www.cde-pl.com.au/lucidfalls/

Drums, Guitar, Bass Guitar, Male Vox, Female Vox.
Influences : Tool, Lacuna Coil, Opeth, Metallica, Dream Theater, Smashing Pumpkins... ahh just listen.

Four homebaked songs for your listening pleasure. And I do mean homebaked. Totally home recorded and mixed... So don't bitch at me about the quality.

I think the song you guys have the highest probability of liking is Octavia.

Comments, suggestions, criticisms..... lay it on me.

Oh, by the way, I forgot to say that I like some of it. :) Its definitely better than a lot of the other demos posted on this board. And the guy vocals are growing on me a little...I guess maybe they're mixed too high or something. But heay, you said it was homebaked, so I'm not being critical. :)

IntoObscurity
Yeah I dig it too. Took ages to come up with but I'm glad you like. ... Now you just gotta tell me what you think of the music. =D

Nugent Goes AOL
Thanks man... The drummer is quite impressive. Quite the machine. Glad you actually like the music too =)

CladInDarkness
Looking forward to your comments.

Listening to Octavia now... the female vocals are very good.. whoever this chick is, keep her in the band! The general sound of the music is great... evokes feeling, but I think the male vocals ruin it. Also I think the drums are too high in the mix and the guitars aren't audible enough... I mean metal is all about hearing the grind.

Anyway, all the best to you man, you guys have great potential.

This reminds me very much so of Maudlin of the Well...that can only be a good thing as well...yes, it's very Wellish, were they an influence??

The female vocals are great, and I even think the male vocals are decent, but they need to be lower in the mix, too loud and intrusive.

Needs more 'crunch' like Moonlapse said. Overall, a good effort, most of the problems with it are technical ones, not musical ones. The material is good! :)

Moonlapse
Good to hear you, like everyone, is a fan of the chick vocalist. I don't really understand the problem you all have with the guy, but hey... opinions =) Glad that the music gets you emotionally going, cuz that's the idea. Thanks dude.

Static
I have never listened to Maudlin of the Well, and I can pretty much garuntee you the others in the band haven't either. Must get some of their material now. Re: the crunch issue, that's my amateur attempts at recording guitar. Not entirely adequate but hey. Cost me nothing. =) Learnt something from it too.

Thanks to both of you for checking it out, wondering if you guys have listened to the rest of the material or if you've just had a look at Octavia. I hereby beg and plead with the rest of you to at least give it a listen... feedback is invaluable.

I think my qualm with the male vocals is that they contrast too much with the female vocals, it really doesn't mix at all. The female vox sound very profesionally done, and almost opera to an extent, whereas the male vocals seem kind of like a more annoying rehash of SOAD vocals. Hope that cleared up a bit why I really think they don't fit in.

Good luck with recording the guitar in the future though.. I think there's some melodies there just waiting to break out above the drums.

Listened Octavia and Second Skin.

Get a proper studio, please. These are great songs and when properly made I think you have chances. The playing on these songs isn't very tight, in Second Skin the drummer seems to lose it occasianally and some bass parts are a mess. I believe it's more because of your recording style than your skills. (Meaning that I dunno if you used click and stuff) Though it may also be you're trying a bit too difficult things.

I liked both vocals and the harmonies were great. Someone could tell your male vocalist to relax and stop nose-singing (which is a common mistake) though.

This was ment to be constructive, not shiting. Again, get a proper studio. Good luck!

(did some editing, I had to correct some views after a few listening.)

Listening to Octavia...

To my ears the male sounds like he's more in tune, but the female has the nicer voice. Its a nice mix anyway, clean male and female vocals.. i agree with Windom Pearl, the male vocalist sounds a bit nasaly (i assume thats what nose-singing is :p), needs to project his voice out more or something... but he's got potential..

The guitars are hard to hear, should've bumped them up a little in the mix.. in this music its the guitars that are important (gotta hear those riffs and melodies!!).. if you're gonna have a not-so-great sound then you may as well make it so people can at least hear what you were trying to do.

Overall, pretty decent. Nothing mindblowing, but well structured and written..

uhhh, on Inwards, the rappy vocals.. no

you guys arent exactly metal anyway, its decent for what it is, but it doesnt sound overly original, and doesnt catch my attention, maybe an opeth board isnt your best audience though.

Moonlapse
Oh yeah... definitely want the guitar done better in the future. Don't really see the SOAD comparison with the male vox... but hey, to each their own.

Windom Pearl
It's the recording. We can play the songs =) Would be nice to be able to get a studio, but we're all students who just finished last year of high school and this was done in the break between school and uni. So yeah, somewhere down the path, studio for sure. Glad you liked the vocal harmonies.

YaYo
Wondered how long it would be before someone dissed the rap vocals in Inwards. Oh well, can't keep everyone happy =) Btw, if we're not metal, what are we? I thought metal was a pretty broad genre... figured we had to fall in there somewhere. Listen to the rest of our stuff, at the very least there are metal elements to it.

yep, definitely metal elements and influences.. i wasnt saying as a bad thing if thats how it sounded. You know, a large part of it is probably due to the mixing, beef up the guitars and it'd probably sound a lot more metal and less rock.

Either way, all i was suggesting is that this possibly isnt your best audience... though i enjoyed most of the music, and others have as well.