Descartes

Anton Webern

New Metal Member
Dec 20, 2005
Hello.
I would like to know if there is a joke (satira en castellano) to Descates In Adaptability´s lyrics.
Sorry for my pathetic english

I was talking about the inversion, the pathetic inversion "Think therefore I am".So, "Truth itself untrue to those who stop to think".
Understood?

No, there was never any reference to or joke about Descartes in the lyrics of "Adaptability", and the focus of the song is not is not really the "thinking" - nor "truth" as such. The lyrics deals with communication - well, communication through language, that is - and whether or not it is possible for human beings to actually understand each other, or if our undestanding will be forever warped and filtered by whoever is at the receiving end of our conversation. Unfortunately I think this is the case, which, if it is so, would mean that we can never fully and truly know anyone, because we will constantly misunderstand and misinterpret them. Well, that's my take on it anyway o_O

The reason for this is that language reflects how we as humans conceive our world. We relate to the world with our language, but we never reproduce it exactly. Therefore - our counterpart has to have the same perception and knowledge of the world to understand us - and apply the same words to the same things...else, language does not work.
Structuralists like Ferdinand DeSaussure can explain this better, so I shut up here...;)