Destinity - Synthetic Existence

Destinity - Synthetic Existence
Adipocere Records – CDARIO4 - 2005
By Sam Brokenshaw

pochette.jpg

"Synthetic Existence" kicks off with an evocative and effective intro, before the violence emerges and lays waste to the sound-scape. From the off it's clear the sextet have honed their attack down to a point where the fat is gone and only the juicy flesh remains. The band clearly made a very wise move by Hiring Jacob Hansen. His trademark crushing rhythm guitars and pounding drums are in evidence here, bringing back fond memories of Yyrkoon's "Occult Medicine". This album sounds great, both punishing and heavy as hell. Hansen has yet to disappoint me from the three album's I've heard his work on. Just like Phazm's "Hate at First Seed" and the aforementioned Yyrkoon album.

Things aren't always this straight forward though, "In Nuclear Light" breaks down into a synthetic soundscape before sweeping pianos arpeggios welcoming back to crushing rythmic guitar work, admirably evoking the apocalyptic feeling the band are trying to tap into. Drummer Tyreal is tighter than the National Health Service budget and his chops support the meat of the instrumentation more than competently. A completely over the top kick drum sound ably assists him in annihilating everything in sight, in a blur of gravity blasts and double kick. The apocalyptic and massive synth work of Morteus never intrudes into the territory of the guitars, but supports and adds nice flourishes here and there. The vocals are arguably nothing special for the genre, but they work nicely and never really let down the pounding accompaniment.

This album is not necessarily greatly varied from track to track, but the level of extremity never drops below a certain level and continually assaults the inside of the listeners skull via the ear drums. in addition to all this I was entertained by probably the funniest press release I've ever seen. Apparently the band plays "Thrashened Extrem musics," this description, whilst entertaining for all the wrong reasons, probably doesn't really describe the band perfectly. They mesh both black and death metal into their thrash assault and have more than a passing resemblance to the earlier mentioned Yyrkoon with the addition of creative synth work. This would be selling the band somewhat short however, as they have great chops on all their respective instruments and differ a little from anything I've as yet heard from a French scene that continues to diversify and impress.

8/10

Destinity Official Website
Adipocere Records Official Website