Detroit/Toledo/Ann Arbor/Lansing question - metal venues

Nigel Tufnel

These all go to 11!
Feb 3, 2007
Warren, MI
Does anyone in the Detroit/Toledo/Ann Arbor/Lansing know of any venues that have prog/power metal acts performing? I've been to Harpos in Detroit for Opeth and Blind Guardian, and DTE (old Pine Knob) for Metallica and Iron Maiden. :headbang: I was wondering what other venues were out there as I'd like to go see a few shows in the spring, and was looking for some suggestions. Thanks.

I-Rock is a nice room, just down the street from Harpo's, that gets a lot of great shows. My first time there, I saw Tiles... also memorable were Iced Earth/Jag Panzer/The Quiet Room, and Iced Earth/Destiny's End.

Lansing doesn't have much...Oades Hidden Camel has metal night (Miles Beyond) has played there. The Rock Spot is a new venue that has metal bands on the weekend...both have websites on myspace. A little further north is The Machine SHop in FLint.

None have exclusively hosted Prog or Power metals and most bands are unknowns

In Detroit, most power metal bands will hit either Harpos or the I-Rock (Sonata Arctica has played both), although occasionally you might find someone at the Shelter (Symphony X/Devin Townsend in 03) or St. Andrew's (Blind Guardian/Symphony X/Black Dahlia Murder in 02). Big names like Dream Theater, Megadeth, Primus, etc. generally play the State Theater on Woodward, unless they're on a big tour that can get Pine Knob. The Melvins played the Magic Stick, a few blocks north of State.

In Ann Arbor, the Michigan Theater just east of downtown has hosted acts like Joe Satriani and Gov't Mule. Mastodon played the Blind Pig in 03. A Perfect Circle played the EMU Convocation Center about 6 years back, just east of Ann Arbor.

Kayo Dot has played places such as Paycheck's in Hamtramck and a hall just west of Midtown Detroit on Rosa Parks blvd. Sometimes you can see some gothy type bands playing the Labyrinth, which is underneath City Club in the vicinity of Grand River and 75.

Show for show, I often get the most enjoyment out of shows at the I-Rock.

Oh yeah, Lansing... I went to Michigan State, and I never heard of any power/prog bands ever playing there at all (but that was 5+ years ago). I used to see plenty of shows by local death/metalcore/melodeath bands at Mac's Bar, Small Planet in East Lansing (if it's still there), the Otherwise Gallery (a small art gallery in old town that occasionally hosts free all-ages shows) and the basement of a church. I also used to occasionally go see Domestic Problems at Rick's American Cafe.

I-Rock's got the most fun vibe to see a show at. Always relaxed and always a good time. My favorite place to play and to see bands of all size.

And since there's a rumor that Epica might be coming through there in the fall, I might have to get our asses on that bill and give Detroit a GOOD opening act for that show...

It looks like the I-Rock is the place to be.

Bryan, you mentioned about trying to be an opening act for Epica. I've noticed at Harpos that they pretty much poop on the opening acts as far as giving them a good sound. It is always way to loud and muddled, with the vocals and lead guitar low in the mix. It's too bad for the openers that are actually good.

They're not playing Harpo's, they're coming to the I-Rock. We've played there a bunch, and that place's sound is far better than Harpo's. No giant cement pit to absorb the good sound and reverberate the MUDDY BOOM like Harpo's.

Yes, they crap all over the bands at Harpo's. Ask any band that's toured through that venue, they'll tell you it's such a crappy place to play. No back stage or dressing room, it's a precarious 2x4 staircase to the stage, and nobody cares about treating the opening acts well at all. But... Harpo's ALWAYS has the most energetic, reactive audiences, and if you want the heart of the metal scene in Detroit, that place is it.

I wish I could open up a club with a stage as large as Harpo's, but in a better location close to the freeways, with WORKING plumbing that doesn't flood every friggin night, and at least some hospitable accomodations backstage and an actual dressing room. Until that happens, the I-Rock is the best alternative.

Oh yeah, Lansing... I went to Michigan State, and I never heard of any power/prog bands ever playing there at all (but that was 5+ years ago). I used to see plenty of shows by local death/metalcore/melodeath bands at Mac's Bar, Small Planet in East Lansing (if it's still there), the Otherwise Gallery (a small art gallery in old town that occasionally hosts free all-ages shows) and the basement of a church. I also used to occasionally go see Domestic Problems at Rick's American Cafe.

Mac's is still around but other than that and the others I mentioned there isn't much here. Really disappointing for a college town that there isn't more variety for bands.., it's mostly the death metal/metalcore bands at The Rock Spot and Oades.