DEVIL DOLL - "The Girl Who Was... Death"

Dick Sirloin

please... stay safe
Jan 6, 2004
158.jpg

ssmt said:
Devil Doll is an interesting concept. Esentially the brainchild of one man - enigmatically known as Mr. Doctor - with enlisted help from various guest musicians, the band's output must be heard to really be understood. The most convenient pigeonhole into which to cram Devil Doll is rock opera, but when you get down to brass tacks, they're not really rock opera at all.

The Girl Who Was...Death is Mr. Doctor's first public release (legend has it he recorded another album before this, but only pressed one copy for himself), and the most rock-based of all his releases. Beginning a trend that continues through his later works, the disc is comprised of only one track (66:06 long...cute), which demands the listener sit all the way through. This is not the only feature that makes The Girl Who Was...Death a difficult work; the vocals are definitely an acquired taste, although more normal here than on any other Devil Doll effort. The music itself, executed well by hired guns, is quite engaging, despite the fact it straddles many ideas with occasional gracelessness. Rock and classical are the two dominant genres on this disc, with a little vaudeville thrown into the mix.

With such varied styles combined well overall, this release's strongest point is the mood it creates. Adding to this are the lyrics, which are strange and, in this case, based on the cult British television show "The Prisoner". They mesh well with the background music, and are always delivered in an appropriate voice. Often hard to track down - Devil Doll hails from Slovenia, and is signed to the obscure Hurdy Gurdy Records - this band's efforts are worth one's efforts in finding. Sound samples are definitely a good idea beforehand, unless one is particularly adventurous, because this music is very left of centre and cannot possibly have universal appeal. Those who do enjoy it, though, are quite fortunate to be privy to such neat stuff.

So... anyone heard/reccomend this?

Lyrics based on The Prisoner? On this like jive on a turkey!

Actually been meaning to snag some samples soonish, this past week I was back on the trail of something new, and all signs kept point to this exact disc. It's something I keep seeing referenced around.. obscure classic, and all that jazz..

also reminds me.. been meaning to check out some ASH RA TEMPLE. Suggestions?

Not sure how into Kraut you are Dick (besides Neu!), so I may have to wait for IoftheStorm to stumble on in here for that one.

Well I actually own "Schwingungen" (it's Ash Ra TEMPEL for some reason) and it's pretty awesome. Very dark, vast and experimental, especially the 3rd track "Suche & Liebe", which is almost 20 mins long. When they do decide to jam, the guitar is very jazzy and Fripp-esque. Expect a lot of sonic exploration here, though. By the way, this sounds basically nothing like Neu! or Kraftwerk.

The only thing that sucks about the album is the fact that it's only 38mins long :(