Devin Townsend: 5150 Presets (Pic)

Mendel

Lag Arkane
Jun 11, 2005
The Netherlands
www.mendelb.com
I bought the Devin Townsend cd synchestra special edition with the dvd and devin shows his 5150. So here's a pic of how he got his tone.
REMEMBER: if you even got the same settings as him, don't think you won't sound the same as on the album ofcourse !!

pic:

omg a GP-100...hope it's not in the signal chain...
It's a block letter 5150, does anyone prefered those to the signature ones? I prefered the sigs myself, less noisy and warmer.
Thanks for sharing this Mendel ;)

Sweetnothing said:
omg a GP-100...hope it's not in the signal chain...
It's a block letter 5150, does anyone prefered those to the signature ones? I prefered the sigs myself, less noisy and warmer.
Thanks for sharing this Mendel ;)

There is absolutely no difference between the blockletter and signature heads, aside from which tubes they came with from the factory.

DSS3 said:
There is absolutely no difference between the blockletter and signature heads, aside from which tubes they came with from the factory.
I've posted my experiences with both models, could be a tube thing, some tech told me about different factory settings aswell, but he could lie aswell hehe
I asked cause some ppl prefer one over the other, just to know what you guys think ;)

This pic illustrates my feelings about the 5150 perfectly. You can put the knobs almost anywhere and it will sound great. His settings are completely fucking different than mine.

Kazrog said:
This pic illustrates my feelings about the 5150 perfectly. You can put the knobs almost anywhere and it will sound great. His settings are completely fucking different than mine.
yeah, I agree w/ this too. I often refer to the 5150 as "idiot proof" b/c it's the only amp I've ever used where you would have to try to make it sound bad.

I think the SYL guitar tone is great, they may have wanted to mix the solo (like in Wrong Side amongst the vocals) a bit louder, but other than that its pretty sweet.. solos should be louder, eh?

I love the SYL tone, but Devin's production is what does it for me - the SYL albums, the heavy bits of the DTB albums (my favorite bit being Earth Day), and the heavier stuff with him as producer like Natural Born Chaos sound so fucking huge and full - I'd kill to be able to do things with that size (and if anyone comes around and starts asking funny questions, I haven't yet... ok?) and still keep clarity.

On a slightly off-topic note, is anyone else who has listened to The New Black more than three times in one evening ever reminded of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band? I know it's not just the fake audience cheering gags, there's just something about TNB that sounds so similarly wound up and I can't put my finger on what it is, so if I haven't just lost infinity quadrigizillion metal points for listening to the Beatles regularly...

Jeff

JBroll said:
I love the SYL tone, but Devin's production is what does it for me - the SYL albums, the heavy bits of the DTB albums (my favorite bit being Earth Day), and the heavier stuff with him as producer like Natural Born Chaos sound so fucking huge and full - I'd kill to be able to do things with that size (and if anyone comes around and starts asking funny questions, I haven't yet... ok?) and still keep clarity.

On a slightly off-topic note, is anyone else who has listened to The New Black more than three times in one evening ever reminded of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band? I know it's not just the fake audience cheering gags, there's just something about TNB that sounds so similarly wound up and I can't put my finger on what it is, so if I haven't just lost infinity quadrigizillion metal points for listening to the Beatles regularly...

Jeff

I have the same feeling! But dunno what it is...
I love The Beatles too! played in a beatles cover band back in the day...
Cool stuff they put out!

Hi Mendel, this is what Jed Simon said on the SYL Forum :"syl we are much the same...straight in to a slighty jazzed dual recto...we both made the change to EL 34's...amazing result...british warmth. i use channel 2 for nice smooth distortion and he uses channel 3 full bore. that's it. "

BUT ofcourse there will be times when you'll see 'em live using 5150's or whatever...