Devin Townsend: 5150 Presets (Pic)

The Recto's they're using aren't modded, they just run on EL34's.

Based on every picture I've seen from the recent Ozzfest tour and Off dates, Jed's been using the 2nd channel, and Devin's been using the 2nd channel with an OD808 in front.

The Synchestra album was clearly a Recto.

They had 5150's on waldrock anyway!! which sounded massive like usual.
Just checked synchestra again btw, sounds AWESOME, like everyone says, full yet clear!
I'm not to sure i like all the music on it though!

DSS3 said:
The Synchestra album was clearly a Recto.

Its a 5150. In that video, Devin explains his gear. He said he recorded Synchestra with the 5150 and his ESP LTD 7 string. He also takes the camera into the iso booth where his cabinet is. Its a Marshall 1960 Vintage cab with a single mic on it.

the dual rec's on the dvd dont sound that great imo.
i've seen em a couple of times live and i think they sounded better when using 5150's, just a thicker heavier sound.
guitar tone on city was awesome, havent had a chance to check out the new one yet.

Splat88 said:
Its a 5150. In that video, Devin explains his gear. He said he recorded Synchestra with the 5150 and his ESP LTD 7 string. He also takes the camera into the iso booth where his cabinet is. Its a Marshall 1960 Vintage cab with a single mic on it.
Holy crap, seriously? It sounds way rectoish to me!

Any chance of getting a screenshot of that iso booth/cab? My copy didn't come with a DVD :(.

DSS3 said:
Then you guys don't use the same picks ;).

Devin uses Yellow Tortex's, but they're that bigger, non-teardrop shape, like Kerry King uses.

In the pic... they look more like these

1153352368_GELS_STANDARD_486_GRP_463X342.jpg

Than like these

1153431533_TORTEX_STANDARD_418_GRP_463X342.jpg

But, really, who cares.

My head's always steaming.

And my picks are way cooler than those triangle deals, lol

Oh man I hate those gel picks. I use to like them back in the day, but then I switched to those Tortex 1.0mm ones...improvement for me. Also the Gator ones in 1.17mm. Regardless, picks in general are gay.

~e.a

Those Ultex things are the worst I've used, period. Generally I avoid the standard shape and the triangles because the tips are too dull, but I've been trying to use the tortex 88s and 114s just to get used to them just in case something catastrophic happens to my beloved Jazz IIIs and Tortex Sharps, and I can see why people would get used to those. The Gels would be a lot better if they had a tip that wasn't more round than some of the small change I have laying around - they're nice and smooth and they stay put, but I'm too lazy to file them down so that they can be used as picks and not dull, noisy string thwapping things.

Jeff

DSS3 said:
Holy crap, seriously? It sounds way rectoish to me!

Any chance of getting a screenshot of that iso booth/cab? My copy didn't come with a DVD :(.

Its from the DVD Devin Townsend Band Safe House. Its awesome. Both guitar players played through the 5150 on the record. In the live songs they do for the video though, the other guitar player uses a recto while Devin plays the 5150.