Devin Townsend Project - Ki

Ben101

Shreddy McFuntits
Aug 9, 2008
Melbourne, Australia.
Anybody got this album yet? I downloaded it a little while ago and have been listening to it non-stop. This is excellent, softer than most Dev albums but still a fantastic piece of work. Can't find anything I don't like about it yet.
Thoughts?

I love it. Been playing it everywhere almost every day for a couple of weeks. will of course purchase it too when it's released. I think this alone proves that all the talk about Devin being past his prime time is just bullshit.

Also really looking forward to the other 3 albums, which he's working on. If he can keep this quality, it'll be just awesome.

I love it. Been playing it everywhere almost every day for a couple of weeks. will of course purchase it too when it's released. I think this alone proves that all the talk about Devin being past his prime time is just bullshit.

Also really looking forward to the other 3 albums, which he's working on. If he can keep this quality, it'll be just awesome.

Agreed that Devin is definitely not past his prime, I think this album is pretty good, the more I listen the more I love it. Very chilled out album but its definitely up there with his other great releases. I didn't really get into Synchestra, found it to be a little dry in comparison to past albums, and while ZTO was creative, quirky and heavy I don't really find myself listening to it often. So far I prefer this album to he ones mentioned.
Cannot to hear the other project releases, if this album is any indication of whats to come then 2009 is going to be a good year for music base on Dev releases alone haha!

News to me. I do like softer devin townsend.

How does this compare to Terria?

Depends. It's more subtle than Terria, but has some similiarities to the most ambient parts of it. Still, I'd say that Ki is different from anything Devin has done before.

So yeah, compositions are great, the mixing is awesomely dynamic and the overall experience really relaxing. Vocals are also great everywhere. It's not for everyone though. My brother says it's too plain and I've seen some mixed reviews.

Yeah, I think I figured what you think of Devin already. That's too bad really, I've always known that some metal fans must hate Devin, but it's still just sad to see. I'd rate him as high as in my top 10 musicians.

I love songs like Triumph, Stagnant, Depth charge, Planet smasher... Nothing on this new album has caught me quite like any of those.

I mean even if you're not a Townsend fan, how can you not love this (shitty fucking youtube quality- the bass is actually way more brutal)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I think I figured what you think of Devin already. That's too bad really, I've always known that some metal fans must hate Devin, but it's still just sad to see. I'd rate him as high as in my top 10 musicians.

Strapping Young Lad is the reason why it took me so long to finally buy one of his solo records. What a horrible band...:puke:

I only have Alien by SYL, but I dig it. Especially songs like Possessions and Love?

I'm not as interested in that stuff as with the solo albums though.

softer? I'm intrigued... "Terria" is my favorite album of his (with "Ocean Machine" being the only other one I like). Devin occasionally creates music that appeals to me... but most of his output I find irritating.