Devin Townsend

C

Children of Flames

I keep hearing good things about him! Are there any Devin Townsend fans in here?
Can anyone give me a list of 10 songs by thim to check out! :)
Thanks!

Are there any Devin Townsend fans out there....? OF COURSE THERE ARE!
;)

Here are my ten suggestions in random order:
Ocean Machine- Bastard, Regulator
Physicist - Namaste
Terria - Earth Day, Nobody Here
Infinity - Christine, War
Strapping Young Lad - SYL, All Hail the New Flesh
Punky Bruster - I'm a Fake Punk

That should get you started. :)

Terria is just a very good album. Ocean Machine is good also. When I get some money I'll fill the space between them. For now I just have some assorted songs.

Originally posted by llamaura
Are there any Devin Townsend fans out there....? OF COURSE THERE ARE!
;)

Here are my ten suggestions in random order:
Ocean Machine- Bastard, Regulator
Physicist - Namaste
Terria - Earth Day, Nobody Here
Infinity - Christine, War
Strapping Young Lad - SYL, All Hail the New Flesh
Punky Bruster - I'm a Fake Punk

That should get you started. :)

llamura introduced me to Devin, I owe her bigtime. She is giving you with this list a little from everything, I will focus only on the better stuff

Terria - Earth Day, Canada, Deep Peace, The Fluke
Ocean Machine - Hide Nowhere, Life
Infinity - Christeen, Bad Devil, War, Noisy pink bubbles

You need only get into these 3 albums to find his best work, though of course some of the rest of it is worth checking out also like SYL. Add "Detox" to the songs llamura listed there.

Im probably the biggest Devin fan in here. Ive got everything he's ever done except for ass-sordid demos. He is indeed a genius, and my all time favorite musician. It takes an open mind to appreciate Dev, and a lot of his shit takes many many progressive listens to get the full effect. Some albums are meant to be listened to in their entirety without any breaks or pauses (Physicist) in between, and while you're in an indifferent mind-set.

I recommend buying everything he has done, but here are some songs to check out, even though you have to remember many of the songs have a very important place on their respective albums, much like many other bands...so judging by single songs should be a no-no, but anyway, here you are: (remember this is just my opinion)

SYL-All hail the new flesh, Oh my fucking god, Home nucleonics, Underneath the waves, SYL, In the ainy season

Ocean Machine-Life, Night, Voices in the fan, Funeral

Infinity-Truth, Christeen, War, Bad Devil, Nosy pink Bubbles, Colonial boy

Physicist (this is a concept album, so judging certain songs as single tracks is kinda tough, but here)- Kingdom, Material, Jupiter (Jupiter is such a cool song...)

Terria-Earth day, Canada, Deep peace, Stagnant

I hope you enjoy the creative genius of Devin Townsend...and check out reviews of his albums at his site www.hevydevy.com

enjoy!

Originally posted by Metal88

Terria - Earth Day, Canada, Deep Peace, The Fluke
Ocean Machine - Hide Nowhere, Life
Infinity - Christeen, Bad Devil, War, Noisy pink bubbles

You need only get into these 3 albums to find his best work, though of course some of the rest of it is worth checking out also like SYL. Add "Detox" to the songs llamura listed there.

Physicist is arguably his most impressive album, how could you leave it out?

Originally posted by Jesper

Physicist is arguably his most impressive album, how could you leave it out?

You're the first person I've ever heard say that. I'm afraid I have to agree with the critics on that one, it's his least inspired work of his entire catalogue. There's something very pedestrian about Physicist, almost as if Devin was bored with his own work when he did it.

Solo albums only:

Ocean Machine: Life, Seventh Wave, Funeral, Hide Nowhere

Infinity: Christeen, War, Soul Driven, Unity

Physicist: Kigdom, Namaste, Irish Maiden, Planet Rain

Terria: By far my favorite Devin release. Just about everything, but especially the incredibly uniquely atmospheric trio of Deep Peace, Nobody's Here, and Tiny Tears, balanced with heavier triumphs Earth Day and Mountain, then there's Stagnant, Canada, The Fluke...I named all but one song on this brilliant record.

Originally posted by Analog_Kid

You're the first person I've ever heard say that. I'm afraid I have to agree with the critics on that one, it's his least inspired work of his entire catalogue. There's something very pedestrian about Physicist, almost as if Devin was bored with his own work when he did it.

it comes off that way at first, it did with me...you have to remember he was in an absolutely horrible mindset when he recorded it. do you have the album? if you put it on your computer and listen to devin explain each song, then the true nature of the album really shines, at least it did for me...and thats what made it really click. songs like death and devoid used to be ones i skipped over because i thought they were fillers, but then after hearing what they represent for the album, the "phase of life" if you will, that they capture...they really hit home and i can lose myself in them.

also you have to remember that physicist, in terms of devins progression as an atrist, "isn't a step forward, but rather a step sideways..."...a cool album, that ranks as an all time classic for me.

Originally posted by Jesper
Im probably the biggest Devin fan in here.
Not a chance! You've got serious competition for that role.
Originally posted by Jesper Ive got everything he's ever done except for ass-sordid demos.
I've got that, but not the Steve Vai stuff he sang on. (I don't particularly like Steve Vai.)

:confused: I don't quite get the descriptions of Physicist as pedestrian either.

Not a chance! You've got serious competition for that role.

I've got that, but not the Steve Vai stuff he sang on. (I don't particularly like Steve Vai.)

:confused: I don't quite get the descriptions of Physicist as pedestrian either.

haha, ive got all the steve vai stuff he sang on, but not ass sordid demos!

I find it to be very bland, in comparison to his other work. It's caught somewhere between a tame version of SYL and the Infinity album.

Yes, I do have it and I have tried on numerous occaisions to get into it. I really want to. It just doesn't have the depth or broad sonic range of Terria, Ocean Machine, City, or even Punky Bruster(a very under rated album).To be honest, I only care for half of Infinity as well. To me, Terria is the ultimate achievement in Devin's work. I can go on for days just paying attention to the incredible kick drum sound he gets on that album. It is a sonic environment of the finest kind. My only hope is that he hasn't peaked at this point. I'd like to see the new SYL come out and just decimate all.

I've actually only heard two songs off Physicist, but I know that a majority of Devin fans including Devin himself are not too fond of the cd. In the March/April Newsletter Devin puts out it includes and interview with him that I "think" was from "BW and BK" magazine. He talks about how he needed to rebound from the bad reviews of Physicist when he made Terria. However since llamura and Jesper like it so much, maybe I'll DL some of the rest of it afterall. The "fake punk" song from punky brewster I think sucks major ass, worse than anything else I've heard from Dev. Do you guys really think that is worth getting? Or are you maybe just giving Devy a collective handjob b/c his solo stuff is so good?