Devin Townsend

I dont know where all of the negativity for Physicist stemmed from...here are some reviews:

Music in the new millennium needs people like Devin Townsend. At once lunatic and genius - is there any real difference? - surrealist and pragmatist, extremist yet accessible, this Canadian challenges perceived mores by existing within them.

'Physicist' is his latest incarnation, and like Strapping Young Lad and Ocean Machine - his other, ongoing projects - it brings to mind Queen overdosing on Ministry's more ebullient reflections. Some of the songs wouldn't go amiss on a Backstreet Boys album, such is there sense of melody and brightness. Yet beneath the surface lurks a nasty, vicious, streetwise streak that will disembowel the unwary.

When he declares on 'Material' that "I've got one more ticket to ride", you just know he's not talking about the current state of the British rail system. And when he purrs venomously that "I never had the chance to end it all" (on 'Jupiter'), he leaves you wondering whether he's the intended victim or perpetrator. But that's the beauty of the beast. Townsend leads you on, carefully laying lyrical and musical traps for the unwary, forever taking you on a journey up what seems like a cul-de-sac, before he tears away the superficial to reveal an alternative universe controlled by his warped, focused mindset.

And if all this rather scares you away from checking out 'Physicist', then that's your loss. Because if there's one man who does sum up the current state of rock and metal music then maybe it is Townsend. This album represents the strengths and weaknesses of the music we all know and love better than anything else you will have heard in ages. 9/10"
- Malcolm Dome, Metal Hammer, UK

"Physicist redefines what melody and metal should sound like when melded together."
- Dan Wicker, Blistering.com

" Physicist is simply unique, amazing, f***ing melodic and with its Beatles' chorus here and there, it is already a classic of the year 2000. The kind of album we will talk again in ten years."
- Danny, www.MetalReviews.com

"Devin's genius is in his humour, his ability to meld lush "pop" melodies and production with brutal, pounding metal like absolutely no one else, and his ear for taking everything you held as "typical" and shining a new light on it.
- Scott Hefflon, Lollipop magazine, USA

"Physicist is yet another trumph in the daring, unstable world of Devin Townsend"
- Tim Henderson, Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles, Canada

"His work is emotional enough that it's possible to hear and feel it... It is a person on a journey in life expressing what he feels."
- www.metalheadmusic.com

"Physicist may be Townsend's greatest work... each successive listen reveals the album's true nature: peerless, intense, and mind-blowing."
- Saiki Difrances, Minnesota Daily

"I highly recommend this album. You may not fall in love with it at first, but give it three listens and I guarantee it will grow on you."
- http://www.abrasiverock.com/

To sum it up, this is definitely an astounding work in which all the players shine royally and it illustrates the growing-up that this particular group of musicians have achieved over the last few years- I'm favourably impressed."
- Bob Cooper, POMN

"Utterly amazing. That really is the only way to describe an album like this. There has never been a musician who could create the complexity and intricacy found on this here record like Devin Townsend. Since the inception of heavy music itself, it’s rare to find an album that is as dynamic while subtle but downright overwhelming as 'Physicist'. 10/10"
- Kev Truong, Blistering.com

"The unique guitar sound and usual massive riffs we expect from the man are there, as are the legendary vocals, as is the ceaseless robotic rhythm section from his band ... Thank you Devin for more than music; but an experience. 5/5"
- Don Smith

"This record takes a few listens to fully appreciate. As it is more accessible to the metal masses than any of his previous releases it is in the long run that you can appreciate the complexity of the whole thing. Definitely a winner."
- Simon Thibaudeau

"Devin Townsend may have released his most pedestrian album to date, but Physicist simply has higher standards to live up to than other albums currently being released. Needless to say you're still better off listening to Devin Townsend's blandest music than Kittie."
- Satan Stole My Teddybear

"... excellent piece of work. At the first listen I thought that would be my worst nightmare for the next hour, but after a while I discover the hidden power of the album. It's VERY fast, noisy and melodic, so if you like these words, GET IT! A ten out of ten album for you."
- Michael Menegakis, Progmetal.net

"... an entry to the bizarre world of this sensitive Canadian artist. Actually, the melodies are always great, but staccato-drums (Gene Hoglan!!!) and almost permanently alienated vocals create a chaos which most people cannot clear ("Death"). In that respect, it´s idle to praise the enormous qualities of this hyper-whiz. His fans love his acoustical trips and enjoy the physical and mental strain."
- Michael Schübeler

"high-energy stomper that combines Morbid Angel-like death metal riffs with Queen-like harmonies to surprisingly great effect, and the ambitiously epic-like 'Planet Rain' which is truly unlike anything else previously attempted in the modern heavy-rock genre."
- blabbermouth.net

Originally posted by jealousy
Get down there... and suck... my buddies... COCK!

:lol:

You just poured salt into a wound. I am fucking PISSED that "Oh My fucking God" on City doesn't include this. I had the mp3 where it included this bombass line and used to laugh my ass off, too bad I can't now that I have the cd. And no I won't be throwing away money on the stupid ass demo the proper versoin of this song comes on. Someone should be sucking MY cock for the fact I bought City and I have on it this shitty version of OMFG.

FUCK!!!!!

Originally posted by Metal88

You just poured salt into a wound. I am fucking PISSED that "Oh My fucking God" on City doesn't include this. I had the mp3 where it included this bombass line and used to laugh my ass off, too bad I can't now that I have the cd. And no I won't be throwing away money on the stupid ass demo the proper versoin of this song comes on. Someone should be sucking MY cock for the fact I bought City and I have on it this shitty version of OMFG.

FUCK!!!!!

It's not a demo. It's a live CD recorded in Australia. And it has two bonus tracks on it. Don't be so stubborn. :p

Originally posted by Jesper
Im probably the biggest Devin fan in here. Ive got everything he's ever done except for ass-sordid demos.

Well, I'm a bigger fan than you then, cos I have them. It's an awesome album. Ocean Machines is an awesome song, and so is L.A.

The album itself is hardly demoey at all. It's pretty much poerfect. But there are some real strange songs on there.

But yes, Devin is a genius.

ok ok ok , i have the songs downloaded, i just dont have the album!!! ill order it soon, ive been meaning to, but ive got other shit i need top spend money on, yada yada yada :)

hooray for devin!

Originally posted by llamaura

It's not a demo. It's a live CD recorded in Australia. And it has two bonus tracks on it. Don't be so stubborn. :p

Ok, that's even worse. I've never understood people who listen to LIVE cd's, I mean...are you fucking kidding me? What, do you pretend you're at the show watching him? Powerful imagination you must have. If I'm driving or sitting in my room why would I listen to a shitty live recording that obviously can't have the same energy AT ALL that a real live show would have (for obvious reasons) when I have the songs in perfection on studio disks? It's just dumb. Live Cd's are to produce extra cash, I've never bought one from anyone nor will I ever.

Now.......these two bonus tracks....are they worth like 15 bucks or whatever? And even if they are......it doesn't make up for the fact that "Oh my fucking God" on ciy leaves out the line. Other than that line being subtracted I don't think there's even anything else different about the song. That's fucking stupid. :mad:

Please excuse my ranting for the third time about this, hehehe. I refuse to be "tricked" into buying some stupid ass Live cd with two bonus tracks.....unless the bonus tracks are like sensationally bombass. What are the names of them?

There are actually three new tracks on the live cd.

Far Beyond Metal is a new one, but it is played live. The two new studio ones are available as bonus tracks on the Japanese imports on Heavy and City. The tracks are Japan and Centipede respectively.

All three tracks are worth the purchase alone. My opinion anyway. Hell, just the announcement before FBM is great.

Hey, does anyone else have the official bootleg video? I was a little disappointed by the sound quality considering it was an official bootleg. It isn't bad, it just could have been better. Couldn't they just get the sound straight from the mixer instead of what sounds to be just from the camera.

Originally posted by Metal88

Ok, that's even worse. I've never understood people who listen to LIVE cd's, I mean...are you fucking kidding me? What, do you pretend you're at the show watching him? Powerful imagination you must have. If I'm driving or sitting in my room why would I listen to a shitty live recording that obviously can't have the same energy AT ALL that a real live show would have (for obvious reasons) when I have the songs in perfection on studio disks? It's just dumb. Live Cd's are to produce extra cash, I've never bought one from anyone nor will I ever.

Now.......these two bonus tracks....are they worth like 15 bucks or whatever? And even if they are......it doesn't make up for the fact that "Oh my fucking God" on ciy leaves out the line. Other than that line being subtracted I don't think there's even anything else different about the song. That's fucking stupid. :mad:

Please excuse my ranting for the third time about this, hehehe. I refuse to be "tricked" into buying some stupid ass Live cd with two bonus tracks.....unless the bonus tracks are like sensationally bombass. What are the names of them?

Ive seen you bitch about this in other forums. You really are an idiot, and you sound like a fool. What dont you understand? Live in Australia - No Sleep till bedtime is a live album, just like Metallica binge and purge, just like Halford Insurrection, just like countless other live albums. The "get down there, and suck my buddy's cock" quote is something he says live to security guards when they try to stop people from moshing. Why would he have that on a studio record? It's not like he says it just to be "funny" or "cool" so you can try to achieve these things by showing off the line to your friends while you drive around in your car. It actually has a meaning behind it.

Furthermore, why knock live albums? Music fans in general like live albums because they like to hear a different side of the band...to hear them playing in their element which is up on stage infront of their fans. It's not like everyone who listens to a live album tries to pretend theyre at that concert in the front row (although there wouldnt be anything wrong with that). You said that live albums dont capture the energy of the band at all?? Are you fucking kidding me? If anything, live albums give me MORE energy than studio albums because what yoyre hearing is the band on stage, in front of their fans playing their asses off. You can feel their energy much more than on a studio recording. That was probably the stupidest thing Ive ever heard. Music lets us escape from our lives and lets us chill out and enjoy hearing things that are pleasing to us. There is nothing fake about live albums, just ignorant "music" fans like yourself. I'm ashamed that you consider yourself a devin fan to begin with. There is more, much more, to Dev than just SYL. I hope you dont go around thinking youre a true fan, cuz youre just a simple minded moron. Get a clue.