DFHS + MH basekick + riff

Mendel

Lag Arkane
Jun 11, 2005
The Netherlands
www.mendelb.com
I made a whole new DFH drummix without any templates just tried in theway of: what have i learned ? so i started with a whole new project and tried to do anything myself.

The basekick sampled, i stole t from Machine Head's trough the ashes.
All the drum sounds are DFHS exept the kick ofcourse.

What do you think of it ?

www.mendelb.com/Drums.wav ( wav. format )

Yeah man - thats sounds great - real big! Maybe a touch too wet when solo but when the guitars kick in it sounds cool. Colin knows his shit when it comes to drums that kick drum is brutal - like pantera with balls. Sweet guitar tone - quite silky - keep it going man!

Hm, I like everything BUT the kick here :) it's too machinegun like. I don't know if you used 2 or more samples but if you didn't: try pitchshifting the sample up and down once so you have 3 samples to alternate. Also play with the velocity just a bit.

Another thing that bugs me is that everything has reverb/room on it except the kick. It's very obvious in the intro which makes it sound fake, I'd like to hear more of the drums with music, though, too judge that properly.

How did you get the snare so tight and fat at the same time? Which one is it?

The guitars sound awesome!

smy1 said:
Hm, I like everything BUT the kick here :) it's too machinegun like. I don't know if you used 2 or more samples but if you didn't: try pitchshifting the sample up and down once so you have 3 samples to alternate. Also play with the velocity just a bit.

Another thing that bugs me is that everything has reverb/room on it except the kick. It's very obvious in the intro which makes it sound fake, I'd like to hear more of the drums with music, though, too judge that properly.

hoyl shit dude thank you for al that tips and info ! But about the pitching thing, wouldnt that be dumb ? cause a basekick pitched high, then pitched low, wouldt that sound weird >?

smy1 said:

The Snare is the Pearl 1. Compressor on it. I tried to get close to that Roadrunner United snair from The Dagger. didnt come even close :(

Mendel said:
hoyl shit dude thank you for al that tips and info ! But about the pitching thing, wouldnt that be dumb ? cause a basekick pitched high, then pitched low, wouldt that sound weird >?

I did this also in the past. Some cents or a half tone are enough + a little bit of EQing highs and lows, to simulate harder and softer Kicks.

btw. your sample sounds pretty cool to me!

:headbang:

Mendel said:

Hey Mendel,

I think I worded myself strangely. What I meant was:

1) create 3 copies of the same .wav (kick 1a, kick 1b, kick 1c)
2) then leave 1a as it is, pitch shift 1b just a few cents up so that it is a tiny bit higher (just barely noticeable) and pitch shift 1c down a few cents
3) now you have 3 kicks that sound different

The more kicks you have like that, the better, imho.

About the snare: I love how it sounds. Haven't heard the Roadrunner United CD, so I can't compare it. Would you mind posting a screenshot of the snarechannel with eq and comp settings - cause this is one of the best snares to me, that I have ever heard on this board. Toms sound great, too.

Love the drums....I agree with what was said about the kick, but aside from that it has to be one of the more realistic sampled drumsounds ive heard here.....Makes me wanna go get DFHS right now! Nice work man!

Sounds awsome!!! Extremly realistic!
It will be grea6t if you can wright some king of short velocity guide or to give some example in 16/16 fill in or something like that, I know I'm asking too much, but what you did with these drums is really great.

Well, this is my firs post so, everybody cheers from Serbia!:kickass:

Kick ass job man! great human like velocity with the snare rolls:headbang:

O yeah wouldnt mind a copy of that kik sample lol