DI Boxes W/ USB Outs?

Robert W

May 13, 2009
I wanted to upgrade from my old GuitarPort and was either going to go for a Radial J48 or a Countryman, as was suggested to me, but when I looked at both units, I didn't see any USB ports on them.

My question then is, can someone suggest a $200-ish DI box that has a USB out similar in function to my old GuitarPort?

If you want to move into the world of pro recording you need to buy an interface. Look at the focus rite saffire 6 its a USB unit and you can run your guitar direct into it like your tone port...

They do not make DI boxes with a USB port.

DI boxes are not interfaces. They are "passive" devices and from them you go to an amp and/or to an interface

Ok, then allow me to properly rephrase my question.

What device out there can replace my GuitarPort? I had been using an old Presonus AudioBox , but have been having some problems w/ it, so, as I've said, I need to find a device similar in function to replace it with.

If you want to move into the world of pro recording you need to buy an interface. Look at the focus rite saffire 6 its a USB unit and you can run your guitar direct into it like your tone port...

They do not make DI boxes with a USB port.

Thanks, it would seem that I was certainly confused about the nature of DI boxes. Oh well, live and learn. :)

Also, am definitely NOT about to enter the world of professional recording any time soon. Just needed something I can plug my guitar into, ala the GuitarPort/AudioBox, that has a USB out. If you can think of something fairly decent for under $200 that would be even better.

***Checking the focus rite saffire 6 out now.

The Guitarport is the only device of its kind thats makde for the sole purpose of plugging your guitar into your PC in that way.

That being said ..

What 90% of us do is just buy an interface and plug our instruments into a DI Box and then run the DI Box to the interface. Guys like me have an interface that accepts an instrument level signal and we just plug directly into that for recording DI's.

The Guitarport is the only device of its kind thats makde for the sole purpose of plugging your guitar into your PC in that way.

That being said ..

What 90% of us do is just buy an interface and plug our instruments into a DI Box and then run the DI Box to the interface. Guys like me have an interface that accepts an instrument level signal and we just plug directly into that for recording DI's.

This is very interesting. So, basically, what you're saying is you'd need a decent DI box, like the Radial, and run that through an interface like the Safire, yes?

That's interesting about the GuitarPort. I wasn't aware that it was sort of unique in that way. I would just get another Line 6 device, but, for some reason, I always get these very weird electronic sounds out of Line 6 devices, so I didn't want to be spending any more dough on them. I had been using an AudioBox until recently, but it started having some problems, so I wanted to replace it.

Now given what you've told me, would it just make more sense to get a new AudioBox, or go w/ the Safire assuming it does the same thing as the AudioBox, only w/ better quality?

Right now I'm using this chain to record w/

Guitar>GuitarPort>desktop>Reaper w/ sims+IRs

I would say go with the Saffire honestly. For almost the same price you are getting much better pre's and much better converters.

Thanks, this advice is much appreciated.

All I'm worried about is just getting the best sounding guitar tracks w/ the limited resources I have available. Plus, I'm not doing any fancy recording, just guitar and bass tracks.

I'm not giving you a hard time ,but I just got to know how you have 300+ post on this forum and not know the basics ?

Because I'm not an engineer/studio technician/mixer. I'm just someone who came looking to improve the quality of their DIY recodings.