DI Boxes...

Old_Gregg

Jan 18, 2010
Ye Olde England
I tried searching to see if any threads had been made already but alas the 3 letter limit is a pain in the arse.

Anyways from all my lurking about on this forum its come to my understanding that the 2 most important pieces of equipment to have are a DI box and a good set of quality monitors, and seeing as I dont have the cash to shell out on monitors atm I thought I'd ask for advice on the DI box.

The countryman 85 seems to be a forum favourite so I thought I'd go for that, but before I spend any money I just wanted to ask a few questions.

Is there any advantage over having a active/passive DI box? MY guitar has passive pickups if that makes any difference...

Also is there anything I'll need to buy with it in order to use it?
My setup atm is the standard bedroom studio wannabe rig. Pod x3 and...well...thats it really.

If its any help this is my beast (I like to think anyways) of a computer here:

http://www.thegameengine.co.uk/fierra/ebuyerlist.jpg

Will I have to get a new soundcard?

Like I said I tried searching but couldn't so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, as would posts with insults so long as they also contain a link to a thread where this has been addressed. :D

Ah, I've read through that before but must have missed/forgotten about the active/passive part. Cheers anyways, looks like the countryman is the one for me.

But still unsure as to whether I'll need to buy anything else along with it...ive got an xlr to quarter inch jack cable lying about somewhere but not sure if that will be of any use

I've recently acquired the countryman and I can tell you its a big improvement from doing DIs through my POD.

You'll need an audio interface to get the signal from the DI into your computer.

For a guitar with passive pickups you'll want a DI that has a input impedance of at least 1 M-ohm. Generally active DI's will have a input impedance around this areas, whereas passives tend to be a bit lower.

Active DI's are also better for long cable runs, though this isn't really an issue in the studio. I think passive DI's are meant to be slightly less noisy though.

Also is there anything I'll need to buy with it in order to use it?

You will just need a mic preamp and some cables.

It is usually like this:

Guitar with passive pickups -> Normal big jack mono cable that you already have -> DI Box -> XLR balanced cable -> Mic Preamp input -> TRS balanced cable -> Interface line input

or how it is for me:

Guitar with active pickups at 18V -> Normal big jack mono cable -> DI Box -> XLR to TRS balanced cable -> Interface line input

Really not trying to be a dick, but the custom search helps you avoid the limit. Read the stickies, the FAQ, you'll find it.

Yeah, my bad. But if it makes a difference I just checked and I think I would have had to make this thread anyways as they all concern what DIs to get rather than what you need to buy along with it in order to actually use it.

One last question to you guys, can anyone suggest a good but not too expensive preamp for me to get? Not really sure of my budget because I dont want to spend money on something that turns out to be shitty. I'd rather save up for a little longer and get something better, but having said that ideally something around £200 would be good. Like I said though the budget is not set in stone. But yeah, any quality preamps at low prices out there?

Instrument Inputs
• Frequency Response 20Hz-20KHz +/- 0.1dB
• Maximum Input Level min gain no pad +8dBu
• Maximum Input Level max gain no pad -42dBu
• THD+N, -1dBFS, min gain, no pad < 0.0015%
• SNR 105dB "A"
• DNR 105dB "A"
• Input Impedance > 1MOhm
• X-talk < -100dB
• Adjustable Gain > 50dB
• Pad Attenuation 10dB

This makes the DI box purchase kinda unnecessary... :)

sawtooth said:
Yes it does :) But some people say that the countryman DI sounds better than the DI input on the saffire.

There's proof. Search for Kev's comparison thread, I'm in my phone so I can't link you to it. User Kevparsons, search for Saffire Countryman and see if you find it. The difference isnt that much honestly, so you can think about getting the countryman, but judge for yourself

Cheers for all the help guys! Looks like i'll be getting the saffire for now and will more than likely get the countryman some point down the line when my bank account recovers from the loss of money.

Thanks again dudes, been a massive help

Sorry to piggyback the thread but I have a Focusrite Scarlett and will be picking up a used Countryman soon, and was just wondering how to connect it to the interface.

So far from what I can work out -

Guitar cable -> Countryman -> XLR cable to XLR input

I then switch the input to LINE and use the preamps gain control to get my level?? Is that that the best way?

At the moment I have found that Im occasionally clipping the Hi-Z input if I dig in towards the bridge, so Im using my Bad Monkey stomp and running from the MIxerOut into the Scarlett which keeps the peaks at 0, but I seem to be averaging around -1.5 which from what Ive read is a bit too high.

Yes it does :) But some people say that the countryman DI sounds better than the DI input on the saffire.

You mean Countryman + Saffire mic in sounds better than Saffire instrument in ?

Well it is possible if the mic in has some better opamp and converter and/or if the instrument in has some really inferior impedance matching electronics.

But the difference has to be really small.

Sorry to piggyback the thread but I have a Focusrite Scarlett and will be picking up a used Countryman soon, and was just wondering how to connect it to the interface.

So far from what I can work out -

Guitar cable -> Countryman -> XLR cable to XLR input

I then switch the input to LINE and use the preamps gain control to get my level?? Is that that the best way?

At the moment I have found that Im occasionally clipping the Hi-Z input if I dig in towards the bridge, so Im using my Bad Monkey stomp and running from the MIxerOut into the Scarlett which keeps the peaks at 0, but I seem to be averaging around -1.5 which from what Ive read is a bit too high.

No don't switch the input to line, that would be used if you didn't have a DI box. Adjust the gain like you would a mic and remember not to record too hot, about -9 for dis.

What you're doing is Di-ing an already Di-ed signal by changing the preamps to instrument.

I'm also looking to buy a DI box, I have so much noise when recording guitars that it pisses me off when I have to crank the noise gate/filter (ReaGate) to the point that its killing my tone. The thing is my guitar has passive pickups at the moment and I'll be buying a bass pretty soon which will probably be the LTD f-415FM equipped with EMGs or the Ibanez BTB (still deciding) series also with actives. Is it necessary to buy two seperate DI boxes? Can the countryman type 85 handle the actives on the bass? and what of the type 10 or are there any other DI boxes that can handle both active and passive pu well? I'm using RME Babyface here.

Don't forget the little labs audio redeye 3d phantom which is both a di for passive and active guitars/basses and a reamp box.

There's proof. Search for Kev's comparison thread, I'm in my phone so I can't link you to it. User Kevparsons, search for Saffire Countryman and see if you find it. The difference isnt that much honestly, so you can think about getting the countryman, but judge for yourself

I still prefer the sound without the countryman on my Saffire Pro 40. I have tried both and think the tone is a bit less "squishy" going right into the Saffire.

Personal preference I know but YES you can use the Pro 40 without a DI Box and it sounds great.