DI boxes

so overall active di's are better for passive, and the passive dis are better for actives due to the increased output voltage from the guitar

I would not say that. But for the countryman the reason why its not good for active pickups is the limited 5 V input. The J48 is active and is great for active pickups !

Thanks for the information man can you recommend a good d.i box for my emg's?

For EMG, the Radial J48 is real good, because its 10V input can really handle the load of the pickup. And its 220kohm impedance is ok with the EMG low impedance.
http://www.radialeng.com/di-j48-eng-sheet.htm

So which one do you like?

Anyone that is 1 meg ohm or more. Usually the cheaper boxes are lacking here. I use my soundcard HiZ-input at the moment, I have a DI-box lying around but my soundcard works great for what I'm doing so there is no point to have additional boxes lying around on the desktop.

For EMG's, because the signal is buffered in the guitar before it goes through the signal, the impedance is far lower - therefore it doesn't matter nearly as much what your input impedance is on your DI when using actives. I understand your guys' plight; I was going through a similar obsession comparing specs and all, but after reading that stickied "Preparing your tracks..." thread multiple times, I've really concluded that numbers are one thing, but if it sounds good, that is really what matters in the end. For example, Oz said he compared his J48 with a low input impedance to his Great River preamp DI in with a 1 mOhm impedance and still much preferred the J48.

In short, just get the Red Eye (which does both re-amping and DI stuff) - that's what I've settled on.

One of the techs at Radial told me that the J48 and Pro48 were essentially the same except for a few extra features. But the signal path was essentially the same. So...maybe you can save a few bucks and get a Pro48...?

One of the techs at Radial told me that the J48 and Pro48 were essentially the same except for a few extra features. But the signal path was essentially the same. So...maybe you can save a few bucks and get a Pro48...?

yeah i was thinking about the pro version, but theres only like 30 quid difference, so if the J48 costs around £140 i mayaswell splash out on that. Im still after a decent budget one though

I have passive pickups and the Countryman is difficult to find in Europe... :erk:
Which other DI should I buy?