DI Comparison by request

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
Someone asked if there is any difference in DI-boxes. I took the preamp out of equation and left it at the same position, di-boxes have all features disengaged and no pad's. I compared:

Radial J48 (active)
Behringer DI-20 (active)
Sansamp Bassdriver DI (active)
BSS AR133 (active)
Behringer DI-100 (active)
Millenium ADI-6 (active)
IMG Stage Line DIB-100 (passive, two takes)
Samson S Direct plus (active)
Hosa DIB-443 Sidekick (passive, two takes)

First with lo-gain sound, then with hi-gain sound: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1338211/di_comparison_incontext.wav
DI only: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1338211/di_comparison_dionly.wav

As you can hear, there is major difference atleast in the output volume of the DI-boxes

The behringer has too much noise, compared to the others. There is indeed a lot of difference in term of volumes. I think the J48 is louder.

I think I would like the Radial better. The clean tone seemed better on it, more definition in the harmonics, it's crystal clear. The Sansamp seems darker, but still ok.

Thanks for comparison.
Behringer DI-20 is something... to much noise.
I compared noise from my own DI-tracks, it seems that Art Tube MP Studio is not bad in that case.
Still don`t know how it sounds compared to other DI.

I've never worried much about DIs.
usually I'll use the Hi-Z input of the API preamps, or my Palmer audionomix pan03 (4ch. active), sometimes even the passive palmer pan01.
had good results with all of them, so I didn't really bother comparing.
thanks for the test

Thanks for this interesting comparison Anssi, my choice would be J48 because it sounded brighter & more defined with good level of volume too :)

Okay, I added a IMG Stage Line DIB-100 passive DI-box to the game and now I think you can clearly hear the difference... I also added a version after that where I opened up the preamp for the passive DI just a bit more.

So I came to a conclusion that when choosing a DI-box for tracking guitars, choose an active DI. The differences are pretty minimal within certain models

Unless the strings weren't 100% fresh for the first tests though; I find new strings lose their initial brightness after the first couple of days, then stay pretty consistent for about a week after, then go down to dull (where they stay FOREVER :D)

Just a quick question, If I got the Behringer DI100 (I'm poor, and on a tight budget :D ) what would I need to plug it into a usb port on my computer? would I need an interface with a few inputs or what?

Interface with a mic level input (xlr). If you get an active DI box it needs phantom power too remember.

Don't get the Behringer though (for aforementioned noise issues), I've had much better luck at the same price with an Art Z Direct (passive).

Either or would be good. I'd be slightly suspicious of the tube in the Art though, there's no way of telling how good the quality it is.

I'm still selling that Toneport GX if you're interested.

What about this then - http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=86&cat=9&id=124

or a line 6 GX interface? would any of these be better than my usb guitar cable at the moment? I'm sick of my dull sounding DI tracks :D

Lets keep this on topic, shall we? Make a new thread about getting the interface. But to answer your question about would it be an improvement: most likely. I also mentioned when you are working with lower end gear and choosing a DI-box for tracking guitars, choose an active DI. The differences are pretty minimal within certain lower end models.

Öwen;9086437 said:
Either or would be good. I'd be slightly suspicious of the tube in the Art though, there's no way of telling how good the quality it is.

I'm still selling that Toneport GX if you're interested.

I might be, I'll post in your thread maybe :D

Lets keep this on topic, shall we? Make a new thread about getting the interface. But to answer your question about would it be an improvement: most likely. I also mentioned when you are working with lower end gear and choosing a DI-box for tracking guitars, choose an active DI. The differences are pretty minimal within certain lower end models.

Sorry about this getting off topic man.