DI/Reamping advice needed!

ToE MoFo

Sep 22, 2010
first off im recording death metal/deathcore with active pickups.
any idea on the chain for DI-ing?

i have a ll red eye 3d, apogee duet, gap pre73, bbe sonic stomp, isp decimator.

i know they say not to limit the sound at all but wouldn't the decimator tighten it up if i had the correct threshold?

also curious about the effects of the sonic stomp?

should i di through the pre73 and straight to the duet or should i go through the red eye, then the pre amp, then to the duet?

also i have no idea the best order for reamp chain?

should i put it out the monitor out on the duet to the red eye, then to my rig?

any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ok.. so I always recommend getting a good dedicated DI first and foremost if you're up for it. The Countryman T85 gets the most rave about it here, and I have one and love it!
I also use my ISP Decimator when I'm recording. If anything, it cleans up the tones I get, I know a few others do the same.

As for chains, it's usually like this:
DI -> Mic Pre -> A/D converter/ interface -> PC.....
then the other way
PC -> Interface -> Reamp box -> Amp :)

the red eye 3d is a dedicated DI Melb. try with the 73. because some people like colored di tone and some people dont. if your not feeling it go into the duet. and i would avoid anything not needed in the chain and just save that for reamping personally.

thanks for the advice! anyone ever try the decimator or sonic maximizer on the di? can it hurt it to try it?

no noise suppressors in the reamp chain.

DI in. Edit the DI. Reamp (OD Pedals/Sonic Stomps etc go here). Edit Reamp tracks. Mix.

why no noise suppressors in the reamp chain?

why should i sell the bbe?

I'll go ahead and say that just about anything you stick in the reamp chain will degrade signal slightly. It'd probably be best to manually edit the reamped tracks.

The BBE can be helpful if used subtly. I have a rackmount Sonic Maximizer, and at first I was all "WOW!" but then slowly realized it was boosting lows/highs and cutting vital mids. If you have a good amp, it should sound fine on its own.

It much easier to edit clean DI tracks than distorted high gain tracks. You can always monitor the sound as high gain using an amp sim while editing before you actually reamp.