DI routing question

TheUnknown

May 11, 2009
Is it possible to route the output of a DI on a track in my daw, ( reaper ) to the input of a preamp, ( ADA MP-1 ) then send it back to another track with with an impulse? Isn't this what reamping would be, I ask because I can't seem to get it to work.

Sure it should be possible.

But... remember that if you go from a DAW to any guitar amp/preamp/etc you should use some kind of a reamp device because going from line level to hi/z input is not a good way to do it.

So Mutant, you say I'm connecting My guitar to My Focusrite wrong? I go... Guitar -> MIC200 pre -> Ch1 mic/Hi-z input Saffire 24. Should I go.. Guitar -> MIC200 pre ->back line ch3 input Saffire 24?
'Couse I'm using a pre how will I get better sound ? Using xlr out to Saffire's mic pre, to Saffire's mic pre in Hi-Z mode or using a back panel line in channel ?

So the signal coming from the daw to the pre amp is to hot or not hot enough? what should the DB level be hitting the pre amp?

What should the DB level come out of the pre amp be going back to the interface?

Why would you send a signal from a DAW to a preamp ?

Your signal was already preamplified when it got recorded on your HDD.

If you want to "reamp" it, you HAVE to use a reamp device, because sending a line level signal to a HI/Z instrument input is not what a pro would normally do (mismatched impedancy).

It is not about hotness of the signal, it is about ohms.