SSD Ex and Reaper routing question

BrettT

Aug 29, 2006
Austin, TX
I have SSD(Kontact) loaded in Reaper with each channel routed to a track in Reaper. It seems that only the bass drum audio is somehow routed to the actual virtual instrument track in addition to it's dedicated Reaper track..is this for a reason or is something up with the routing? Sorry for the noob question.

I wondered about this too at first. I looked for SSD track templates built for Reaper and came across one, but it made the Three Snare kit during the routing by default (I guess whoever made the template used that kit when routing).

The point of the template just shows that you need to click on that Channel/Fader icon in the Kontakt player and you'll see a button below each drum channel (Kick, Snare, etc etc) and it should have routing numbers like plugin #1 and plugin #2 for every channel. Just cascade them. There isn't a fast way; you will have to go under each drum channel and go in successive order: 1/2 for Kick, 3/4 for Snare, and so on.

I apologize if this isn't really explained well enough. If my computer that has SSD had internet access, I could take screenshots or look at the actual plugin while typing my explanation.

I wondered about this too at first. I looked for SSD track templates built for Reaper and came across one, but it made the Three Snare kit during the routing by default (I guess whoever made the template used that kit when routing).

The point of the template just shows that you need to click on that Channel/Fader icon in the Kontakt player and you'll see a button below each drum channel (Kick, Snare, etc etc) and it should have routing numbers like plugin #1 and plugin #2 for every channel. Just cascade them. There isn't a fast way; you will have to go under each drum channel and go in successive order: 1/2 for Kick, 3/4 for Snare, and so on.

I apologize if this isn't really explained well enough. If my computer that has SSD had internet access, I could take screenshots or look at the actual plugin while typing my explanation.

I have the same problem, but in Sonar. I tried to do it this way, and the tracks were all correctly assigned, but for some reason I had the right side of the hats going to some random place like the left side of the kick and a few others like that. I couldn't change it.

What I do is just solo the individual pieces and print each track manually to its own new stereo track.

Do you have a midi groove loaded? Is it ONLY playing the bass drum? Look at the midi input of each kit piece in Kontakt, make sure they are all on the same channel. If they are, look in the mixer in Kontakt and see where each piece is being routed. Each piece should be routed to it's own track in reaper, like you set up. For instance, open the I/O in REAPER for the Snare track you created and it should be receiving 3/4 from Kontakt... Forgive me if I am wrong, it makes sense in my head.

I have to open the ssd version of kontakt, preferably in 32 out version (to have more outputs).

I load a kit,
go to the reaper's track FX chain edit window, right click on the kontakt instance and "auto create outputs automatically" or something like that.

It creates a lot of reaper tracks, where are routed kontakt outputs.

Then, inside kontatk, I go in the mixer, and at first every kontakt track (so every tom/snare/cymbal instance) is routed to "output #1 / output #2" (these are L and R channels of that kit part)

(they have some names but don't use them).

Then, I let 1/2 for the first track (obviously the kick). Use 3/4 for the next part, 5/6 etc.

It should work; and if you routed every kit part correctly, tracks will be fed by the correct sounds. The first reaper track will be the kick, the following the others, etc. Now rename the tracks, and you're done.

I do it almost the same as LeSedna - I go to the FX window in Reaper, highlight Kontakt, and then choose Options -> Build multichannel routing for output of selected FX...

and that does the trick.

I have to open the ssd version of kontakt, preferably in 32 out version (to have more outputs).

I load a kit,
go to the reaper's track FX chain edit window, right click on the kontakt instance and "auto create outputs automatically" or something like that.

It creates a lot of reaper tracks, where are routed kontakt outputs.

Then, inside kontatk, I go in the mixer, and at first every kontakt track (so every tom/snare/cymbal instance) is routed to "output #1 / output #2" (these are L and R channels of that kit part)

(they have some names but don't use them).

Then, I let 1/2 for the first track (obviously the kick). Use 3/4 for the next part, 5/6 etc.

It should work; and if you routed every kit part correctly, tracks will be fed by the correct sounds. The first reaper track will be the kick, the following the others, etc. Now rename the tracks, and you're done.

Yeah..I've got all this done, but for some reason the kick is still feeding audio to the Virtual Instrument track in addition to it's dedicated audio track, and I can't figure out why. The kick channel in Kontact is set for outs 1/2.

Oh okay. I think it's plain normal. I personnally just mute the original track where the midi entity and the kontakt player are.

EDIT : no, correction : here it doesn't feed audio. The meters are active but the output is not routed to the master output.

Try this : open the matrix window, and untick in the "Master output" your ssd track. It should now be quiet, and only the receiving tracks should be feeding audio signal. I think here it does the same as you, but it doesn't bother me at all because it is not routed to the master output.

I think I got it : since the kick in the SSD is routed to 1/2 (as we all do, logically), in the reaper track it is hearable because the reaper track is set as a stereo track, what means it sends to the master outpurt the channels 1 and 2. And so you hear the kick, because it is the only one that is set the channel 1/2. All other kits pieces are set to 5/6, 11/12, or whatever, but they won't be heard because their channels are not routed by default in a basic new reaper track.

Only solution is not to send the signal to the master output as I did.

It should be automatically done with the auto routing feature. By the way, did you do all the steps in the good order ? If you remove a SSD instance and add it again, it may not work, depending on how are routed or not the signals.

Does it solve your problem ?

Your master MIDI track where the SSD player is should just be treated as your Kick track, don't build a separate kick track. That's how it is done in Logic as well. Your Kick EQ/Compression/etc all goes on the actual track that has the player on it. In Reaper, like LeSedna said, you could just disable the master send on the instrument track and route the kick to a new track just for organization/cleanliness of the session, but it's really no different.

I personnally do the second, for organization, yes. As Adam says, you can of course save a track on your session by treating it like your kick track.