Diabolical Masquerade

eyeteeth

Jul 21, 2004
A while ago I took a chance on Diabolical Masquerade's 'Death's Design' and was rewarded with a fabulous album. Super quirky, weird, imaginative, great harsh vocals.

I was wondering who has heard this and the other DM albums and how they compare? I have the feeling the others are not as good?

Cool intro
http://www.diabolicalmasquerade.com/

Guardian of Darkness said:
Most of their stuff is like the soundtrack to a cheesy horror movie.
Death's Design was meant as a cheesy horror movie. How close are the others? I imagined they were less quirky.

I think they're pretty sweet. I need to find the actual cd somewhere cuz I don't like the breaks between all the songs when listening to them on my comp.

I thought Death's Design was quite a boring album, and never saw what the big shit with it was. Nightwork is pretty good, though. My favorite was The Phantom Lodge. I felt the songwriting on this one was better and the songs less "horror" than the others. The debut was OK.

Guardian of Darkness said:
I know. The movie was never released though.

There was never a movie, it was a hoax. At least that's what Swano said in one of the LoTFP interviews. I don't see any reason not to believe him considering his involvement with the recording of the CD.

I also think that Death's Design may be one of the weaker Diabolical Masquerade albums. I'm a pretty big fan of this band, but Death's Design seems to be based too much on a very small number of ideas/riffs/etc. These few ideas seem to recur far too often and completely kill any sense of the album progressing in any way, as a concept album (I assume) should.

The atmosphere on the debut, Phantom Lodge and Nightwork are outstanding. I enjoy Death's Design a lot as well, but the redundancy makes it a bit weaker than the others in my opinion.

I guess opinion is divided on both the band and the different releases. That's cool. I think I'll get the others and find out for myself.

IAmEternal said:
but Death's Design seems to be based too much on a very small number of ideas/riffs/etc.
Yeah it does seem like a sewing together of a bunch of ideas that had been laying about.