DIAMOND HEAD Expects To Complete Work On New Album In January

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Guitarist Brian Tatler of NWOBHM (New Wave Of British Heavy Metal) legends DIAMOND HEAD was interviewed by Wrinkly Rockers Club prior to the band's December 6 concert at O2 Academy Islington in London, England. You can now listen to the chat using the SoundCloud widget below. Speaking about the songwriting process for DIAMOND HEAD's upcoming album, tentatively due in mid-2018, Tatler said: "I start the ball rolling with the guitar parts, guitar riffs, and then I'll present it to [the other guys], and it'll get tweaked. And Ras [vocalist Rasmus Bom Andersen] will sometimes go, 'That needs a chorus,' and I'll write the chorus, or, 'This bit needs to be twice as long,' and we just tweak it a little bit and work on it, build on it. That's what's happened, and then he has to write lyrics to it. I don't do lyrics, you see — I'm only a music guy. We've done all the backing [tracks], we've done all the guitars, we've done probably 70 percent of the vocals, so he's gotta finish the lyrics, finish the vocals and then we start mixing. So it's gonna be January, probably, before it's finished." Asked about the fact that both METALLICA and MEGADETH have cited DIAMOND HEAD as a major influence, Tatler said: "It's flattering. What can I say? It's great. I'm so glad that happened. I think it's helped keep the band going. I don't think we'd be having this conversation if we hadn't been covered by METALLICA. It's brought in so many fans. A number of times, people have said, 'I got into you through METALLICA.' They read the small print. They presume 'Am I Evil' is written by METALLICA until they go, 'Woah! [It says it was written by] Tatler/Harris.' And they go, 'Okay. Let's have a look at this band,' and then think, 'Actually, I quite like that.'" DIAMOND HEAD recently inked a management deal with Thrashville Management, the company led by MEGADETH mainman (and former METALLICA member) Dave Mustaine and his son Justis Mustaine, along with CTK Management founder Danny Nozell. DIAMOND HEAD's latest, self-titled album was released in June 2016 via Dissonance Productions. The effort was the band's first to feature Andersen on vocals and its release ended an eight-year silence for the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal icons.

Continue reading...