Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Diamond Rexx
The Evil
Crash Music, Inc.
by Nathan Pearce

According to a press release, Diamond Rexx was somewhat popular in the early 90’s. I have to admit I’ve never hear them before this, as advertised, comeback album ‘The Evil’. In Diamond Rexx’s biography, talk of taking a self-imposed hiatus due to a changing music scene, only to “comeback” when heavy music has once again resurfaced, causes me to think of a band wanting to capitalize on the nu metal craze of recent years. However, Diamond Rexx doesn’t quite fit the nu metal mold.

Diamond Rexx combines powerful guitars in the style of a lot of early 90’s thrash bands, vocals reminiscent of everything from hair metal bands to Gwar, and lyrics about the usual affairs of sex, drugs, and other naughty things. I can’t help comparing these guys to the somewhat cheesy, dark, semi-goth bands like Piston and even Coal Chamber. Diamond Rexx steers clear of too many comparisons to the above mentioned bands by incorporating more guitar solos and more thrash style guitar riffs. Unfortunately, the lyrics often lead me to believe these guys listened to their fair share of cheesy dark power metal.

Diamond Rexx must be given credit for the great cover photo of adult web-cam model Raven. Nonetheless, their music seems to be somewhat dated and stale. Fans of early 90’s dark power metal mixed with a little thrash will probably find much to enjoy; however, without anything new to offer the metal community, Diamond Rexx won’t hold most listener’s attention for more than a few songs.

6/10

www.diamondrexx.com