Diamonds and Nuggets.

Paxoman

Sep 10, 2002
A stranger in a strange land!
Visit site

What is this album all about? It is described as a compilation album and has an old pic of Saxon on it, yet I've never heard of half the tracks on it! I take it this is Oliver/Dawson Saxon? If so this is very misleading.........tut tut!

Pax.

its actually an album full of rare tracks, pre-saxon stuff (like a track from Sob and an early one that was written by Biffs first band 'Coast'), live recordings such as the one and only live version of Midnight Rider, Power and the Glory outtakes and much more. For an avid fan its indespensible, but for a more casual listener it may seem a bit vague. I dont think its meant to highlight anything special (ie, greatest hits comps) because it isnt, its just a nice album.

I thought I may as well type in the track listing and a brief description of each song so everyone can see what this albums about.

1. Stallions of the highway
live at the Rainbow
2. Midnight Rider
rare live track
3. Frozen ranbow
early version
4. Turn out the lights
Power and the glory sessions, nearly made the album.
5. Coming to the rescue
same as above
6. See the light shining
first ever recording 1978
7. Stand up and be counted
first recording featuring the left out intro
8. Freeway mad pt2
early recording
9. Ann Marie
From SOB days prior to Byford and Quinn joining, the solo eventually made its way onto Midnight rider
10. Lift up your eyes
An old Coast song (Byford + Quinns previous band)
11. Street fighting man
early recording
12. Still fit to rock n roll
early '76 recording sessions with original line up
13. Big Teaser
Version with long intro dropped for album
14. Frozen Rainbow
with Rod Argent on keyboards
15. Walking
Very first SOB recording, 1972
16. Make em rock
Power and the glory outtake
17. Stone room Jam
Instrumental jam that later turned into Eagle has landed
18. Aint you glad to be alive
Early live favourite that never quite made an album.
19. Freeway mad pt1
First ever recording 1976

As you can see, theres plenty on it to get your teeth into, the extensive liner notes and photos included make for interesting reading also.

I tell you what Macc, that album sounds fantastic! I will DEFINITELY go out and get it. I've seen it in the shops so many times but never knew quite what a little gem it is. Thanks for the album listing and description of the tracks, that is very much appreciated.

My first ever gig was Saxon at the Rainbow theatre in 1980. Does it say what year Stallions of the highway at the Rainbow theatre was recorded? I am just wondering if it was the year I was there!

Pax.

This is a very interesting album & every Saxon fan should own it! It gives great insight into the early days ofthe band & how songs changed etc. I already had a lot of the demos & stuff included so to be honest,there wasnt much "new" to me apart from Coast i guess.
Theres a lot more in the vaults so i'm wondering when the next rarities CD will be released. These things are always great :)

Well I have listened to the album now and I must say it is blinding! As Macc already said, it is probably not for the casual fan but any hardcore Saxon fans must get this album. As innocent said, it gives a great insight into how songs change. Like how "Make em rock" obviously became "This town knows how to rock".

The first time I heard "Turn out the lights" and "Coming to the rescue" I could see why they were left off the Power and the Glory album! But on second listen they really grow on you, especially "Coming to the Rescue".

Think my favourite has to be the version of "Frozen Rainbow" with Rod Argent on keyboards. Thought that was superb!

Dan, I take it you have the Rainbow gig on tape? Any chance of doing me a copy? I'd love to have this as it was my first ever concert!

Dan, is the Rainbow show you have the full show from mixing desk?