Did I mix this song ok?

Det Som Engang Var

Viking Bastard
Jun 3, 2005
Houston, TX
I don't have speakers, in any case, this will be the new Empiric song, once Will fnishes his vocals. Harsh criticism welcomed. I still need to fade out the end. It's a concept song about Nerevar in Morrowind. The lyrics were taken from the Nerevarine prophecy.

Thanks, as always.

One-Clan-Under-Moon-And-Star

When earth is sundered, and skies choked black,

And sleepers serve the seven curses,

To the hearth there comes a stranger,

Journeyed far 'neath moon and star.

Though stark-born to sire uncertain

His aspect marks his certain fate.

Wicked stalk him, righteous curse him.

Prophets speak, but all deny.

Many trials make manifest

The stranger's fate, the curses' bane.

Many touchstones try the stranger

Many fall, but one remains.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can hear where you cut and paste. the reverb cuts out. try being a good guitarist and do each part in one take. on a second listen I am probably wrong as it sounds like it could just be the response from the plug in.

There's a lot of "blown speaker distortion" coming through my headphones (once the flute stops and you launch into the DNB/Opeth like riffs), and I'm not sure if that's the sound you were going for. And before you ask, I'm using a pair of Ultrasone 900s that are fairly new. The flute is predominantly much louder than the distorted guitars as well.

The song itself sounds pretty good though.

Whistle seems a bit loud, overpowers the guitars. Also the mids are really low on the guitars and they're distorting with a sort of OOMPH when you palm mute. Of course, that may be your aim, I dunno. Personally I'd like to let the guitars breathe a bit more, have a bit more space and be more up-front. In any case it sounds nice!

My biggest critique starts well before my judgement of the production value. Honestly dude, I think you need to rework the tracking a bit or just rerecord it entirely (as I'm sure you're going to do as it says "rough draft".) There's a few timing issues throughout the song that could use some tweaking. As far as the production I think the flute should be lower in the mix and like the others said, the guitar needs to breathe a little bit more, so lighten up on the tracks compression. I think a limiter on the flute and some reimaging on the guitar track could work wonders. Also, the tuning waivers a bit during some parts. I hear some flatness in there. Keep up the hard work dude :kickass: