Diezel amps

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
Andy had asked about the new Diezel amp So let him know what you think...

Andy imho and to my noob ears. The Huebert is fuckin amazing !!!!

I love the fact that the tubes are PER PAIR Biasable The Effects loops can run series or Paralell, The mid shift and deep (low resonance) controls are very very active and actually DO SOMETHING on this amp. Its got a nice push in the mids and the fact thats its MIDI controllable is a great feature for using the amp live.

Here in the US. its about $4100 without the cab. Its really pricey, I wouldnt comapre it to a Mesa its got a different characteristic about it. I would compare it more to a modded marshall, its got a very british like tone.

The cleans are very clean which is nice on a highgain map.

Id buy one if i could afford it.

I think the good clean sound comes from the fact that the diezel stuff uses multiple preamps, instead of trying to get a clean and highgain tone from one preamp like most manufacturers try to.

Herbert isn't the newest Diezel, Einstein is. That said, Herbert is probably more suited to what Andy would be looking for as Einstein is said to be much more vintage in voicing.

A friend of mine has a VH4 and a Herbert, and was coming over to watch some fights but came early with the Herbert so I could throw down a quick wank track over a jam backing track somebody posted at Harmony Central. Keep in mind, this is a cold, "plug in and play" track... nothing more, nothing less.

http://junk.bobsavage.net/EdDeGenaro-MyronJam_Herbert.mp3

As a comparison, here's another 2 minute wonder I did immediately afterwards with my Shiva:

http://junk.bobsavage.net/EdDeGenaro-MyronJamShiva3.mp3

cobhc said:
I think the good clean sound comes from the fact that the diezel stuff uses multiple preamps, instead of trying to get a clean and highgain tone from one preamp like most manufacturers try to.

Multiple preamps? I don't believe there are multiple preamps. Where did you see that information?

on the diezel website : -

The VH4 has 4 different preamps which can be adjusted absolutely independently. The sound options and basic characteristics are very various and cover all ranges from superclean to ultragain. Channel 1 and 2 are particularly suitable for gritty funk and/or dynamic clean sounds. With the gain structure of these two channels back-to-the-roots blues and vintage sounds can also be produced. Channel 3 and 4 make a further multiplicity of sound options possible, from heavy metal rhythms to high gain leads. Additionally each channel has a switchable insert loop.
The sound controls are very efficient. The lows and trebles are very balanced and leave enough space for warm and cutting mids. The interaction of pre and output stage guarantees an absolutely clean and dynamic sound impression...

cobhc said:
on the diezel website : -

The VH4 has 4 different preamps <snip>

Oh, well since the VH4 was not even mentioned, I had no idea you were referring to that amp.

It looks like they claim the same for Herbert though... I've got some questions to ask elsewhere, because I don't see enough preamp tubes to do that...

Herbert has 3 -

The HERBERT has 3 different, perfectly independent preamps, which permit it to tweak the sound for all possible music styles.

I'm not sure how the preamps are completely independent, with only 6 preamp tubes, although I guess the circuitry for each one could be sharing them. This makes me wonder, however, if it's not just semantics, because if you look at the preamp layout of most channel switchers, specific tubes are used for specific channels, some of them shared, however, the circuitry is usually exclusive to the channel.

Bob Savage said:
Herbert isn't the newest Diezel, Einstein is. That said, Herbert is probably more suited to what Andy would be looking for as Einstein is said to be much more vintage in voicing.

A friend of mine has a VH4 and a Herbert, and was coming over to watch some fights but came early with the Herbert so I could throw down a quick wank track over a jam backing track somebody posted at Harmony Central. Keep in mind, this is a cold, "plug in and play" track... nothing more, nothing less.

http://junk.bobsavage.net/EdDeGenaro-MyronJam_Herbert.mp3

As a comparison, here's another 2 minute wonder I did immediately afterwards with my Shiva:

http://junk.bobsavage.net/EdDeGenaro-MyronJamShiva3.mp3

Holy crap dude - I like the Herbert better than the Shiva tone. Geez those notes bloom nicely. That is the first time I've heard you play lead through something I liked better than the Shiva. I think you should get one. ;)

Steve

vile_ator said:
Bob, thanks for the clips. Pretty good lead player there. I dont know what a Shiva is but I can hardly tell the difference between the two. Also there is no chucky rythym playing like we want to hear!!! :(

Colin

Hmmm, I hear a significant difference. Anyway, as far as the rhythms, nope, somebody on another forum provided the backing and that's just a freeform wank job over it.

sah5150 said:
Holy crap dude - I like the Herbert better than the Shiva tone. Geez those notes bloom nicely. That is the first time I've heard you play lead through something I liked better than the Shiva. I think you should get one. ;)

Steve

I still prefer the Shiva, but the Diezel does sound nice, and has a boatload of tone shaping options.

Diezels are amazing amplifiers. I'm sure tons of people will come in and say how they are overpriced and overrated and how their Dual Recs and Kranks can smoke them (and their EMG85's and this and that). But honestly, it's expensive as hell, but you get what you pay for. I honestly don't think it's necessary to spend that much money just for a sick-ass metal tone (because the ENGLs and whatnot are pretty insane too), but it's an incredible amp.

I think that for the player who either is a complete 100% tone freak, or someone who is looking for unfathomably boutique tone covering all stlylistic bases, the Diezel is pretty much Mecca (that or maybe the CAE OD100).

I've played the Shiva too, I like it a lot (a really reflexive sound), I think Bogner makes great amps too. I try and just lurk here, but Diezel came up and I love those, so I figured I'd reply.

ShokaiShimizu said:
I've played the Shiva too, I like it a lot (a really reflexive sound), I think Bogner makes great amps too. I try and just lurk here, but Diezel came up and I love those, so I figured I'd reply.

Yeah, the Diezel and Bogner voicing are from opposite ends of the spectrum, but both, very cool.

Hey Bob,

didn't I meet you for like a split second in January at TM when Ron/Vigier had that monster gig?

Yea, the Bogner has a very neat voicing, I think ultimately in a perfect world I'd use both amps, but if I had to choose one I'd choose the Diezel. I mean you really wouldn't be missing out either way, those are both like top of the heap amps.

ShokaiShimizu said:
Hey Bob,

didn't I meet you for like a split second in January at TM when Ron/Vigier had that monster gig?

Yea, the Bogner has a very neat voicing, I think ultimately in a perfect world I'd use both amps, but if I had to choose one I'd choose the Diezel. I mean you really wouldn't be missing out either way, those are both like top of the heap amps.

Hey Jeremy,

Yep, somehow I missed the MASSIVE graphic in your sig. :D We met at Tone Merchants.

I prefer the more vintage vibe of the Bogners (even the Uberschall has a somewhat vintage voicing/feel to it), but I agree, having both would be excellent!

Bob Savage said:
Hey Jeremy,

Yep, somehow I missed the MASSIVE graphic in your sig. :D We met at Tone Merchants.

I prefer the more vintage vibe of the Bogners (even the Uberschall has a somewhat vintage voicing/feel to it), but I agree, having both would be excellent!

Yea man I totally know what you're saying, Reinhold's amps just have a super open sound, like taking a Fender Twin and cranking it to it's limits, and then attenuating it further...like it's such a weird hybrid of sounds, but just has that open, raw, modded tone. Especially on the Shiva (maybe because it was a combo and more compact and was running through a single speaker). The Diezel although it sounds amazing, I think has a tighter more controlled precise tone to it.

ShokaiShimizu said:
The Diezel although it sounds amazing, I think has a tighter more controlled precise tone to it.

Absolutely, it's two different methods. I've talked with Peter about it, actually. He knows of my favor of the Bogner amps. So anyway, we're chatting about my preference in amps and he says "you like tube amps." I was thinking "huh?" He goes on to say that in his designs (at this point, it was only the VH4 and Herbert) he likes the preamp to do all of the tone shaping, and for the power section to only amplify what the preamp is doing.

Of course, a tube power section is going to do some shaping, but his point was well taken. He's approaching his designs from more of an audiophile perspective, whereas Reinhold is coming more from a vintage approach where the power section has much more influence over the feel and sound of the amp (i.e. more sag and that cranked vintage midrange thickness).

I love both amps, but since I can only have so many amps, I've gone with the Bogners. Actually, I have the Shiva (which is not actually stock, Reinhold did me a favor with some mods... more gain, adjustable bottom end resonance...), and Uberschall and also have an 82 JMP that I gigged with throughout the 80's, but I hand onto that more for nostalgic reasons. Although, it's a pretty kickin amp with an SD-1 in front of it, but I think it needs a cap job.