Anyone knowing Diezel VH4 amps ?

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
I will reamp some guitars for a band next week and we are going to use a combination of Diezel VH4 and 5150.
The music is a kind of metal/punk, think a mix between Meshuggah, Rammstein, and NoFX lol.
The cab will be a Custom Audio Amplifiers with V30 and Greenbacks.
We used an Ibanez RG7 with passive Lundgren pickups to record.

Anyone having experience recording that Diezel amp ? I know it has 4 channels, which are clean, crunch, rythm and lead.
I know the rythm/lead channels are common used for standard metal. Which one do you prefer for huge rythm tones ?
It would be awesome if someone could send some "where to start" settings (EQ, gain...) for the VH4.
Thanks !

Hey man,

I own a Diezel VH4 and absolutely love it.

Regarding settings it is quite different than the likes of a 5150. Channel 2 is pretty much irrelevant and the same goes for channel 4, which is a bit more compressed and saturated in the gain department. I would definitely recommend using channels 1 and 3... Channel 1's clean tones are beautiful and if you EQ it so that mid/treb/bass are all at 12 o'clock and just tweak them slightly from there, you CANNOT go wrong.

Channel 3 I have set up with something like:

bass: 1:30ish (o'clock)
mids: 11
treb: 12/1
gain: 10:30/11
deep (resonance): 1:30
pres: 1
channel vol: 3

Like channel 1, start with all EQ at 12 o'clock and just tweak them slightly. This amp is so good that you really don't need any huge bass boosts or mid scoops etc.
Also make sure you crank the channel volume more so than the master volume.

In front of the amp is a maxon Od808 with the normal settings. I tune to C and put this through a Mesa 4x12 with V30s. Blackmachine custom guitar with EMGs into that.

If you own active pick-ups as I do, make sure you don't dial in too much gain. The Vh4 was designed for classic guitars with passive pick-ups, but if you back off the gain on the heavy channels it's fine.

Double track that in with a Peavey 5150 or 6505 and you'll soon be riding the train all the way to tone-city.