Help: 2 amps to one cab?

dan weapon

Planet Smasher
Nov 14, 2005
Aberdeen
www.myspace.com
Basically I own a Diezel VH4 and a 6505, and was thinking it might be cool to combine them through my mesa oversized 4x12.

Would this be the correct process to do so:

1) Buy A/B/Y box.

2) plug guitar into A/B/Y box input.

3) connect A/B/Y output 1 to VH4, and output 2 to 6505.

4) connect vh4 to an 8ohm socket in back of cab, and 6505 into other 8ohm socket.

5) This would mean Vh4 tone is coming out of two speakers, and the 6505 is running the other two speakers.... which would mean I would need to mic up the cab twice when playing live?

If correct, that seems quite simple.

Has anyone else used multiple heads to one cab, and if so what are your experiences with it? Recommendations for A/B/Y box? And is it all worth the hassle?!

Cheers

Yeah you got it right. Just don't go cheap on the ABY box, running a setup like that is ground loop city...

i use 2 amps occasionally through my 1960A and the way i do it is set each amp to 8 ohms, put one in the L and one in the R socket on the amp (in stereo mode) and the sound of one comes thru one side of the cab, and the other comes through the other side

however, im using a Morley AB box and when i switch to select either one or the other, the signal bleeds into the other side of the box and thus a signal still appears thru the amp when i dont want it to, its a simple fix but havent done it yet so dont know if it can be done. ive also got a spare proel AB box that does the same job, i got the morely caus i thought it would eliminate this bleed, but it doesnt and the proel one is just as good really!

Yeah that's common.... Really, if you aren't buying a transformer version aby box, that will always happen.

Just look at the price difference between the Morley and the Radial, they charge more for a reason.