Phase issues? 2 heads into 2 cabs live...

dan weapon

Planet Smasher
Nov 14, 2005
Aberdeen
www.myspace.com
I'm about to buy a diezel 2x12 cab so I can run my VH4 and 2x12 cab, and 6505/mesa 4x12 at the same time.

one guitar - two sweet amps, should sound great. BUT...

I just had a thought: am I going to get phase issues here?

Anyone else got experience of this?

I see a lot of pros using multiple amps at the same time so it can't be all bad...

i have never had issues. i tend to use a 2x12 for cleans and a different amp with a 4x12 for distortions. different than what you have done, I can't imagine that you would get phase issues, and there was some, I doubt it would be that noticeable. I have been to a lot of concerts were multiple amps are being used like you described and I never could hear any phase issues

You'd definitely avoid phase issues by having them as close to one another as possible! But why not run just your 4x12 in stereo, with each amp getting a side?

If you think about in a recording context, phase comes because the microphone is picking up similar signals at different distances - when you are playing live people in the crowd wouldn't be able to notice as they are so spread out around the place. I wouldn't worry about it too much - that said is there any need to be running 2 amps?

I run a XXX and a 6505+ each through it's own Madison 4x12, and no problems here.

For Machinated, I can only speak for myself. I am the only guitar player in the band, and I run the dual amp setup to add some texture/thickness and a bit of dynamics. I use a Radial BigShot to switch the XXX on and off for dynamic/sonic impact in certain parts of the song.

If you think about in a recording context, phase comes because the microphone is picking up similar signals at different distances - when you are playing live people in the crowd wouldn't be able to notice as they are so spread out around the place. I wouldn't worry about it too much - that said is there any need to be running 2 amps?

Because I love both my amps a lot and I don't like leaving one out, haha.

Also the VH4 has far superior lead and clean tones compared to the 6505 - but the 6505 has THAT sound. And I'm greedy :D