mini heads and cabs?

tomrip

Sep 25, 2011
hello guys, i have a little studio, and i plan on buying mini heads like the engl 15 watt gigmaster, the orange dark terror and the dual rectifier mini. Do i need to get a 2x12 cab, or is 1x12 fine for recording? Also should i buy matchign speaker cabs, or is a mesa cab good enough for all the heads. I am sure this is a dumb question, but i would like your input. thanks.

i have a krank rev jr 20w which runs through a V30-loaded 2x12, and they vibe pretty well together. i honestly wouldn't mess around with 1x12 cabs - just get a nice 2x12, and run them all through that.

I have a Tiny Terror, a Dark Terror and a Krank Rev Jr and run them through a 4x12 Engl with v60's and vint30's. They sound sweet! And they have way enough power to make the speakers move as they should... If you have a 4x12 mesa, I'd say you're good to go.

I use a 50w 5150 III through an Orange 2x12... not really a mini or lunchbox amp, but this is one of the easiest setups to record I've ever owned.

I have had quite a few of the mini heads,

Krank Rev Jr (The exact same one Kurtz has..literally...lol)
Mini Recto
Jet City JCA 20H
Egnater Tweaker
Marshall Class 5

I find the 2x12 work best with
Mini Recto
Krank
Marshall

I found 4x12 were necessary for the
Jet City and Egnater

They dont push much low end.

guitarguru777, what do you think of the mini recto? got any recordings online with it?

I've seen a couple of Dual Rectifer vs Mini Rectifier clips online, and have surprisingly preferred the Mini recorded, although the larger amps definitely have more lowend.