Orange cabs

migreeni

Dismember
Nov 27, 2005
Finland
www.malummeh.com
I've heard that Orange cabs are the tits for metal. Anyone got any experience to share? They're loaded with V30's right? Any difference between 4x12 and 2x12? What amps work well with them? I've been thinking of picking an Orange cab and an Engl Blackmore. My tuning is A#-drop, so it should handle the lows well.

E:typo

There has been quite a few threads on Orange cabs in the past, a quick search should bring them up. I was also thinking of getting one recently but was put off by three things. Firstly there were some complaints that under a mic they had an annoying fizz in the high mids that was hard to remove, secondly that, judging by the clips, they seemed prohibitively dark and 'woolly', thirdly the thicknes of the grill and the inability to see where the mic was pointing (less important issue though). I ended up going for a Blackstar 4x12 which was the same price. Having said that I would imagine that a Blackmore and Orange cab would be a perfect match as the Blackmore is quite bright and has less lows than say a Fireball or Savage, something that the Orange excels at, being naturally quite a dark and beefy sounding cab. Plus I hate the Orange tolex and the optional black would have been out of my budget.

I just tracked a metal/rockish session on an Orange head (rocker 30 i beleive it was) into an Orange 4X12 cab and doubled with a 5150 into a VHT cab... I can post up some raw unprocessed clips of the Orange head into the Orange cab if you want...

I'd go for a Mesa Stiletto 4x12 over an Orange 4x12, for the aforementioned issue of color, as well as the fact that it DOESN'T COME WITH CASTERS RRRGGGHHH whereas all Mesas do. Or if you want a 2x12, I'd go for the vertical Mesa Rectifier 2x12. I think that pronounced upper-mid business is inherent to most standard-sized 4x12's with rear-mounted V30s (Mesa Stiletto/Traditional, Orange, Marshall 1960V, etc.), and the reason the Blackstar/Mesa Standard/Rectifier/Oversized cabs don't have it as much is because they're larger than normal. However, I find it hard to imagine that an Orange cab could sound both fizzy in the upper mids and dark and woolly, but regardless, I know I've heard a lot more great clips with the Mesa Traditional (James Murphy's stuff, for example) than with the Orange...

I heard the same exact thing about Orange cabs. That's why I was so damn excited to get my 2x12. I honestly didn't care for it at all. The low end was cool, but honestly not as tight as everyone exclaims. Maybe I had a dud, I don't know...but I couldn't believe how underwhelmed I was with mine. I'm gonna go for a Mesa or Bogner for my next cab.

Just my $.02

-Joe

DO NOT GET THE BOGNER OVERSIZED 2X12!!!!!! I bought into all the hype last summer (literally, I paid $850 for it new :mad: ), and tried to love it for a year, but it has this HORRIBLE fizzy/"clangy" quality to it that just can't be banished under a mic. I've tried recording it many times, but it just couldn't do the job, and the clips I've heard on here of them have that same sound quality to them (Sly, for example, had one, before he sold it). I tried multiple guitars and amps through it, but it imparted that same awful tone (on my myspace in my sig, "The Silent Rivals" and "E-Riggs" were both recorded with it, but with completely different mics/preamps/positioning, and there's still that sound in both)

DO NOT GET THE BOGNER OVERSIZED 2X12!!!!!! I bought into all the hype last summer (literally, I paid $850 for it new :mad: ), and tried to love it for a year, but it has this HORRIBLE fizzy/"clangy" quality to it that just can't be banished under a mic. I've tried recording it many times, but it just couldn't do the job, and the clips I've heard on here of them have that same sound quality to them (Sly, for example, had one, before he sold it). I tried multiple guitars and amps through it, but it imparted that same awful tone (on my myspace in my sig, "The Silent Rivals" and "E-Riggs" were both recorded with it, but with completely different mics/preamps/positioning, and there's still that sound in both)

Yeah man, it's so hard choosing cabs. I'm most likely going for a 4x12. I might just go with a Mesa though. They seem to be tried and true by users and pros alike. Just not sure if I want an oversized or regular.

-Joe

Personally I want the Traditional/Stiletto, cuz there were just some big discussions about the perks of each, and I felt I'd be better off with the smaller of the two. Search for "Traditional," you should find the threads.

Personally I want the Traditional/Stiletto, cuz there were just some big discussions about the perks of each, and I felt I'd be better off with the smaller of the two. Search for "Traditional," you should find the threads.

Cool, thanks dude. Do they still make the traditional Recto version? I wonder what the difference is. thanks

-Joe

Yeah, the Recto Traditional is now called the Stiletto or Stiletto Traditional, and the Rectifier Standard/Oversized is now called the Rectifier; they're the same cabs either way, though actually, I think after they renamed them, they added a T-frame on both models between the baffle and the grille cloth that wasn't there before; maybe I'm wrong on this, but check out these ebay auctions for a Recto Traditional (no frame) and Stiletto (frame)... Has anyone else ever noticed this? Peculiar, but I HIGHLY doubt it makes any noticable difference in sound!

Cool, thanks for the clarification. I've never heard anything bad about the Bogner 4x12. I can see that oversized 2x12 not working out though. I'm pretty sure either the Bogner or Mesa would serve me well.

-Joe