A question of two amp phase

RevoltStudios

Aug 2, 2009
Having a heck of a time with phase between my splawn and recto. Sounds fine far as I know (first time with two amps) maybe a little hairy in the room but when I mic'd them up they were very out of phase. I put both mics on single cabs to check cable/mic phase and everything was fine. Seems it's in the amps and my ears are too stupid to hear it. Thought I had a phase inverter tube but turns out I didn't! So what's the best was to go about this? I rewired one cab so I could just reverse + and - to the cab jack. Or when I get a Radial ABY with a phase switch will that work the same? I hate to take out the trillion screws in this marshall cab. :bah:

Correcting phase with mics is as simple as moving the mic slightly forward or backward to correct the issue. Very easy to do. Wave you looked at the wave form to see if that's really a phase problem you are hearing? Some amps just don't sound good together, even when the wave forms are lined up, do to the amps characteristics not 'gelling' with the other.

P.S.- Phase inverter tubes are part of a push pull power amp and have nothing to do with what you are talking about :)

Correcting phase with mics is as simple as moving the mic slightly forward or backward to correct the issue. Very easy to do. Wave you looked at the wave form to see if that's really a phase problem you are hearing? Some amps just don't sound good together, even when the wave forms are lined up, do to the amps characteristics not 'gelling' with the other.

P.S.- Phase inverter tubes are part of a push pull power amp and have nothing to do with what you are talking about :)

I pumped a sine wave to both amps simultaneously and it was a perfect 180 outta phase on the waveform. They sound killer together already...I can only imagine if they were IN phase lol.

P.S. I feel stupid now about phase inverter tubes.