digi 003 rack and logic 9 on snow leopard

gabriel g.

Sep 7, 2006
Hamburg
www.myspace.com
Hey guys I´m trading my mackie onyx 1640 for a digi 003 rack (+protools 7.4.)

I´m going to update osx to snow leopard and logic 9.

So some question:

1.Does logic 9 works stabil with the 003 rack and snow leopard?
2.Does protools 7.4. works on snow leopard?

Why I´m trading the onyx:

I need something mobil
I need more outputs for re-amping
I need to have the option to run protools (to open projects of others or to give projects away)
I want to upgrade my setup (with an SSL 4-channel mic pre or an Api, and an Octopre MKII)

cheers

edit:
I´m using a mac-book-pro 3.1.
with 2.4 dualcore processor and 4gb of ram

I want to use logic 9 as my main DAW but realy need the protools option
cheers again;)

the thing is, protools is just a add-on for me to open pt-projects for mixing and give pt-projects to others....
My main DAW is Logic 8 (Logic 9 is lying in front of me, but no time to do the install-week:D )

Maybe when some $$$ is comming in I´ll buy the upgrade to pt 8....

I run this set up on an 8 core mac pro. I've been getting some weird plugin issues with Snow Leopard since I upgrade. Pod farm specifically.

I have heard that Superior Drummer is crashing with the newest Logic version though, so I'd stick with 9.0.2 if thats what you're running.

Other than the Memory errors that have been TERRIBLE in 9 I think that 10.5.8 with 9.0.2 was the best combination with my 003.

IF you don't use a lot of Flex Editing and Varispeed I'd say that 8.0.2 on 10.5.8 was just about bulletproof with my 003.

I know myself :) I´m going to isntall the newest versions of everything, when the 003 rack is here.

I´m just a believer:D
And to be honest I had zero problems with anything mac or logic related
in the Last 1,5 years.

Good thing is, if something wont work stabil enough, I have leopard and logic 8, so I could always go back.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

I tried to get the setup working with OSX 10.5, Logic 9 and a Factory 003. And it took hours to get it to work, the 003 also had a tendency to lose connection to the computer in the middle of tracking, which is very annoying.

I know myself :) I´m going to isntall the newest versions of everything, when the 003 rack is here.

I´m just a believer:D
And to be honest I had zero problems with anything mac or logic related
in the Last 1,5 years.

Good thing is, if something wont work stabil enough, I have leopard and logic 8, so I could always go back.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

7.4 still wont work if you go back to leopard, either way your most likely going to have to upgrade to 8

Thanks for all the tips!!!

So last questions:
Is the core-audio driver stabil on snow-leopard
(for use with logic 9....)

Are there any LIMITATIONS for using the core-audio driver instead of using protools 8?

cheers

The core audio driver works pretty well. Once in a while it will stop recognizing the hardware. On the flipside sometimes PT will think that the core audio driver is still using the 003 and ont properly start up. Simply restarting will fix these issues when they come up.

Neither of these problems really end up effecting my workflow at all and I end up restarting due to the dumb 9.0 memory errors. Once the superior issue is fixed I'll be updating and crossing my fingers.

If it wasn't for the fact that other people frequent my little studio and work out of it when I'm on the road I probably would've switched to an Ensemble a while back and just used my mbox mini for the times where I feel like dicking around in pt.

I had major plugin problems in Logic 9 when I switched to Snow Leopard, so much that I had to revert back. It was mainly with Stillwell Audio plugins (which I use a lot because they are GREAT) so it was worth it for me to switch back.

I´m only using Waves plugins (platinum and SCC).
I´m WUPed so I have version 7 allready. So this shouldnt be a problem.
Also drumagog released a snow-leopard update.

Arv did you have any problems with the 003 ?

cheers

I´m only using Waves plugins (platinum and SCC).
I´m WUPed so I have version 7 allready. So this shouldnt be a problem.
Also drumagog released a snow-leopard update.

Arv did you have any problems with the 003 ?

cheers

I actually use a MOTU 828mkii w/ a Digimax, so I can't comment on that half, just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents about issues with Logic