digitech gsp1101 4 cable 5150 amp

Jan 11, 2007
Does anybody have much experience with a set up like this? I have a 5150 that I use with a tube screamer, noise gate, and analog delay pedal. But some times I would like to have some different tones.

My question is doe the digitech gsp1101 color the 5150 tone alot? And how good is there modeling of a tube screamer, would I still need to use my tube screamer?

I have a similar set up with a 6505, but with a Line 6 m13 going four cable method. I don't know if it's a common issue with doing 4 cable, or just an issue with the m13, but I got some serious hum hooking it up that way. I found on the line 6 forum that people are using a hum eliminator to fix this, so I bought a cheap behringer one. It helped a lot, but didn't completely fix the problem, so now I also run my NS-2 4 cable as well, instead of just in front of the amp. I think the NS-2 in the loop is muddying my tone a little, but it's still a new rig and I need to experiment more. I think it's worth the hassle to have the versatility of routing whatever I want in front of the amp, or though the FX loop. I have almost everything programed for 1 footswitch so I can mostly stay on the red channel. I even use the volume pedal setting in the m13 to back off the gain for some patches, but I never play clean, either crunch or full on distortion. I also debated using the tubescreamer in the M13, but I figured since I already own a real one, I'm better off using that, although I'm sure it sounds fine.

I'm intrigued about the 4 cable method with a 5150 aswell :)

I don't really know how it works, but the 5150 I have doesn't have a -20db effects loop so I guess it could distort somewhere on the digitech loop? never tried it tho

I run my GSP1101 in 4CM with an ENGL Powerball and Mesa Mark III. Mine is the first generation run.

With the ENGL, it added some noise. With the C48 beta firmware, I was able to place the noise gate after the amp and tame it. The Mark III and every other amp I have tested it with (HRD, X100B, e530, Quad-X, etc.) it was just fine.

It doesn't color the tone noticeably to most folks, but I can tell some slight differences.

The pedal models are excellent. The issue you will have is with the boosting capability of a TS9. To do that, you will want to adjust the "Pre-amp send" level to get that boosted effect.

The other effects are also excellent. And actually the models I like the best out of any hardware unit I have tried (pretty much all of them under $500). Especially for high gain and for running it live. The cab models are average at best. But with a poweramp and a guitar cab, it really feels and reacts like a tube amp. Especially for doing metal, it is the only one that I have used that isn't harsh or muddy, cuts through a band, and still sounds good live through big PA's.

Anyone else? I'm thinking bout pulling the trigger on the gsp to use live with my 6505. Would like some more opinions if there are any.

JeffTD, didn't you use this setup for a while, a while ago? Any insight?

Yeah, I did use this for a bit. It works well, only colors the sound a tiny bit. the FX were great, interface not as good as something like a G-Major or something.

I use my XT Pro for the same thing now, GSP1101 was probably a bit better though.