DigiTech GSP1101

slashvanyoung

Dopefish lives!
Jul 18, 2006
Germany
GSP1101.jpg

Anybody using this or having some experience with it?

The reason I'm asking is because I just saw that Megadeth uses them live and that was quite surprising to me because I thought they were using JVMs live too. But it seems like they put the heads only for optics on the stage...

When I saw them live with Testament and Priest, they easily had the best sound out of the bunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've played one several times, one of my friends has one. I really liked it and was GASing for one for quite some time, but for the time being I have a Digitech RP500 to play with (which I tend to use more than any of my amps for just playing around the house). I think it's a great modeling processor and would be great as a live rig. With the GSP1101 you get 2 of the Audio DNA2 DSP Processors and some great routing capabilities and flexibility - see this quote:

How does the GSP1101 save your tone? By using the GSP1101’s unique and flexible preamp loop in conjunction with the easy to use setup wizard, you can quickly configure your GSP1101 to meet your connectivity and functionality needs. By allowing you to place your personal preamp in the GSP1101’s preamp loop, the GSP1101 places internal stompboxes, choruses before your amp’s input like discrete pedals. The effects like delays and the internal Lexicon™ reverbs follow after your preamp. Most rack mount products force you to run through some type of clean amp model changing your sound just so you can get a little extra. With the GSP1101 you longer have to sacrifice your tone and effect chain to use a rack.

Unlike most rack preamp / processors, the GSP eliminates internal sections that you are not using and places the effects in use in the correct order. You want an internal distortion and chorus before your outboard amp? No problem. The GSP1101 setup wizard quickly walks you through the setup and then internally reconfigures to meet your needs. You want just chorus, delay and reverb? No problem, the setup wizard makes it a snap to turn the GSP1101 into the ultimate effects processor.

Whether you want to use the GSP1101 as your total preamp / processor by running it straight into a power amp and cabinet or if you want to incorporate it into your stack / rig, the GSP1101 will fit your needs.

You’ve worked long a hard to develop your signature tone, we don’t want to take over; we just want to be a part of it.

Once again - as a live rig, I think it would be great for portability plus some great sounding tones. I've run my RP500 into two PA cabinets several times and once you hear how it sounds in stereo you will never want to go back to running a mono rig.

Now you have me GASing for one again - I had put that thought away in the back of my mind for a while now, focusing on other stuff, but now I want one!!!!!!

Yeah I've been gas ' n for one for a while too. Seems pretty cool and I love the idea of the footswitch which is powered/and "signaled" through the convenience of one ethernet cable.

Boo Ya.

Would be cool to have some clean tones through the 5150 rig as well.

All that plus the effects chaining as specified above makes it = win to me.

Obviously just YouTube quality, but I can't seem to find real clips of it, lol.

I'm really curious about those as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aha, sorry guys for reintroducing GAS. ;)

But yeah, I'd love to try one out for myself now. If this lives up to the promise then it could be one hell of an addition to a live and rehearsal rig (maybe even recording, Megadeth coax really awesome tones out of them)... especially since it's only a fraction of the price of an Axe-FX.

I have one.

So far I have only used it as a home unit. Running it into a pair of Alesis Active monitors.

Sounds alright to me. Nothing extraordinary.

Dumping the modeling and using it as FX only with the loop/4 cable method is where this is supposed to shine. Using something else as the preamp. I havent taken the time to do that yet though.

I have an Engl 530 pre-amp. I need to get the 1101 hooked up with that. Currently I'm using a BOss GT-10 for compression, gate, eq, delay, reverb duties.

I have one.

So far I have only used it as a home unit. Running it into a pair of Alesis Active monitors.

Sounds alright to me. Nothing extraordinary.

Dumping the modeling and using it as FX only with the loop/4 cable method is where this is supposed to shine. Using something else as the preamp. I havent taken the time to do that yet though.

I have an Engl 530 pre-amp. I need to get the 1101 hooked up with that. Currently I'm using a BOss GT-10 for compression, gate, eq, delay, reverb duties.

could u show some recordings ?? high gain stuff please :lol:

the modeling ability of it isnt anything we haven't heard before. In my opinion anyway.

I dont much super high gain stuff. The left side rhythm guitar on this cover tune was done with a JCM800 based setting I made. (its the guitar you hear first)

Dont know if this will help you at all.

www.jershangout.com/files/music/DesertPlains.mp3

FYI - The right side guitar was a digitech gnx3000 with the speaker compensation turned OFF. ( he wouldnt listen :puke: )

Also, I dont know what the solo parts were recorded with.