Dimarzio Drop sonics Anygood?

the_drip

Martriden K
Jan 8, 2004
Spokane WA.
ive got my finger on the trigger but cant decide if i should get the new D activator x's or the drop sonics. Im sick of the stock dimarzio's in my RGA321F and really wanna know what you guys think of these.

DSC00223.jpg

:D

The drop sonics are good for lower tunings only... be it on a baritone or 7 string... I think anything C and lower you'll dig them... on the bridge pup, makes sure the bar side of the pup is nearer to the bridge...

I just got a couple for my 7 strings... they sounds leagues better over the stock pickups...

Well, we tune to C standard, and it isnt a baritone.... would that be alright, and i thought about the emgs...but i dont wanna go through the surgery plus i already have Emgs in my Explorer.

I always digged the way my D Activators treated the midrange on my Xiphos - 'Extra Smooth'? ¯\(°_o)/¯ Plus, it's got tons and tons of gain without sounding too noisy ¯\(°_o)/¯ It's a neck-thru so yeh...
However, EMG owns me now. That's what EMGs are supposed to do: Beat the shit out of every pup out there.

Edit: ¯\(°_o)/¯

string gauge is pretty light. 11-14-18-28-38-49. if Drop sonics arnt that great what is the best Passives for Death metal in the 80-120$ range, being in montana doesnt allow me to run down to guitar center and exchange any old pickup i want so i have to take peoples word on it and hope for the best. Sucks, That how i got stuck with a $1350 XXL cab that really isnt that good.

I have had no experience with D Sonics, although I've heard off many people they are great pickups.

I am a user of regular D Activators however and I would recommend them to anyone looking for an affordable passive pickup that offers nice high-gain sounds without the negativity that passive pickups advertised as 'high gain pickups' usually have. they sound quite clean and not overly scooped like a lot of those kinds of pickups, and still retain a lot of the overtones that Dimarzio is so famous for.

I couldn't be happier with the set I have, but they're in a big thick mahogany guitar be careful with your basswood.

The D Sonic sounds really cool to me. My personal Dimarzio favs are the Super Distortion and the D Activator. You may want to give the D Activator a test drive. At first I couldn't stand the D Activator and I actually took it shortly after I initially installed it in my Ibanez. I went back and listened to some clips I made with it though and thought it sounded really good so I put it back in. It has great output and is very bright and clean.