Do i need different guitar strings?

XxSicRokerxX

Gabriel R.
Nov 25, 2010
Orange County, CA
So ive been battling with my jackson floyd rose for 2 months. been working on proper string tension, intonation, parallel bridge, truss rod, etc.

I think i finally got it right the only thing, is that i cant pick as fast as i could, i feel sloppy, my palm muting just doesnt feel right.

Im not sure if its just that im out of practice but the strings feel loose to me(they are strings i just bought not too long ago ive never used these size/brand)

Im playing in DROP C using DUNLOP 11-50 im starting to think that i need to move it up to 12-54 for a tighter feel. I believe before i was playing 56?

what do you guys think?

For drop C is 11-50 too loose? especially for fast picking similar to Black dahlia murder.

I feel like im playing on rubber bands kinda.

If they feel too loose then you need to go up a guage. 11's are ok for drop c for some guys, but it depends on your pick strength. For example I play in drop D and i"m using 10-52 at the moment as I use 2mm plectrums and pick like a bastard.

ahh ic you play in drop D and youre using 52 lol im playing drop c using 50 :( i dont really have a problem w my first 1 2 3 strings just 4 5 6 they feel too loose.

Try 12 - 60 at the minimum for Drop C. Then go down or up from there depending on how it feels.

I'm using a 56 for Eb which feel just about right for heavy riffing/tremelo picking but is a bit to tight, I'd suggest a 60 unfortunatly now your going to have to re-adjust everything to suit a heavier string gauge.

I recently changed to using 12-68 baritone strings from Elixer for Drop B and C standard tunings. In my opinion the tension is really good. No warbling notes, yet in my opinion not excessively difficult to play. I have them on two Carvins with 25" scales. Feels darn good. Took a couple mods, but definately worth it for the increase of tone and tension. Feels like 10-52s or so up top to me if it were in standard. Just my 2 cents, but don't be afraid of looking at heavier strings for those tunings, not essential but may work well for you.

Cheers,
George.