string tension/truss rod/ninjas

Jan 11, 2007
Ok I lied about the ninjas.

I was looking at how to calculate string tension for a guitar. It appears to me that if I figure out the string tension on my guitar now I can then calculate what strings to use in changing it to a lower tuning with the benefit of avoiding the need to adjust the truss rod. I would also like the playing it to feel the same as now.

I am interested in this because I am scarred of adjusting the truss rod.

The larger diameter strings would probally make it necassary to raise the action some.

What I am really curious about is what would happen to the intonation? Because one of my bridge saddles is already all the way back.

You're not going to get it to feel exactly the same with a lower tuning. For example, if you change from a 9-42 at standard tuning to a 10-46 a whole step down, it will feel a bit looser. If you go 11-50, it will feel a bit tighter. No one that I'm aware of makes a 10.5 set of strings, so you'll need to adjust your truss rod, trem height, and intonation. There is no way around this that I've found.

I was looking at how to calculate string tension for a guitar.

D'Addario website has a string tension table on it somewhere, which might come in handy.

(Also Ernie Balls tend to be a bit slacker than other brands for the same gauge of string. I noticed it when I switched from Rotosounds, and I've since seen it said on a forum somewhere -- so I don't think it was only in my head. Just something to be aware of, maybe.)

Ok I lied about the ninjas.

:mad:

You'll have to adjust it. Pretty much inevitable. Don't be afraid of the truss rod though. Just use slight turns until you get it where you want it. Plus, the only real danger is when tightening.

Personally I only mess with the truss rod if I experience some fret buzz. Usualy having the bridge setup right should do the trick for the action and intonation. Also I think string tension is a personal preference, some people like it really tight and some like to have a little looser feel.

I found that Daddario string tension table earlier today and it is very helpfull. That's the brand of strings I have been using anyway so it should be very usefull.

Thanks for the input guys.

You're not going to get it to feel exactly the same with a lower tuning. For example, if you change from a 9-42 at standard tuning to a 10-46 a whole step down, it will feel a bit looser. If you go 11-50, it will feel a bit tighter. No one that I'm aware of makes a 10.5 set of strings, so you'll need to adjust your truss rod, trem height, and intonation. There is no way around this that I've found.

http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-gb-dgg.html

download Humanoids' Humtension...

http://humanoid.ahmala.fi/software/

i've been using it for like two years or so now and it's probably one of the more helpful things I've downloaded, especially when you start changing tunings often and such.