Dimarzio Super Distortions In Mahogany?

Robert W

May 13, 2009
Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with Dimarzio Super Distortions in a mahogany bodied guitar?

Used to have one in my Ibanez SZ320 (mahogany body and neck, maple top).

Cool for standard-tuned stuff, too bass-heavy for the more contemporary, drop-tuned stuff, IMO.

Had one in my old Ibanez AR50 when I purchased it. It is a pretty heavy mahog body. Didnt love it but didnt hate it, I agree with Rex Rockers assesment. The duncan distortion I tried next was pretty awesome and probably a great passive choice for drop tuned heavy stuff. Currently have the custom/59 hybrid and Im loving that in there.

How about a Gibson 500T?
Never tried one for too long. I suppose it's alright. Gibson puts them in all-mahogany guitars, lol.

What kind of tone are you going for?

I guess everybody's ears are different. You may dig the Super D for down-tuned chuggah chuggah. Depends on what are you going for.

The facts, though: The Super D pumps out more low-end than the EMG 85, and a hell of a lot more than an 81. It's not a muddy-sounding pickup, and it's actually not as smooth in the top-end as an 85 either, but I don't think that's usually what the members of these forum are going for, but everybody's different.

Every piece of wood sounds different so you never know but the super distortion and mahagony is a great match.

Never tried one for too long. I suppose it's alright. Gibson puts them in all-mahogany guitars, lol.

What kind of tone are you going for?

I guess everybody's ears are different. You may dig the Super D for down-tuned chuggah chuggah. Depends on what are you going for.

The facts, though: The Super D pumps out more low-end than the EMG 85, and a hell of a lot more than an 81. It's not a muddy-sounding pickup, and it's actually not as smooth in the top-end as an 85 either, but I don't think that's usually what the members of these forum are going for, but everybody's different.

Am playing in G# standard and am looking for a good doom tone. I used a Dimarzio Super distortion back in the mid 80s and remember liking that pickup quite a bit.

The two brands of pickups I don't like the sound of are SDs and EMGs. So that kind of narrows my options down, as I'm sort of on a budget and don't really want to spend more than $80 on a new/used pup.

I used one for about ten years tuned to drop C, worked very well in that tuning. After I went to drop Bb, not so much. I ended up with an emg 81 in that guitar.

Did it start getting flubby sounding on you?

Wouldnt say flubby but it didn't have that present midrange that the 81 has, and with lower tunings that sort of evens out the tone.

Plus I had the super distortion so long that it had sweat rust on the pole pieces :lol:

Terrence Hobbs (Suffocation) uses a Super Distortion in a Mahogany BC Rich tuned to C#.

But can you be sure what he used on the studio?

Mind that there's a return policy. You can get a Super Distortion and if you don't like it just return it!

Yes i'm positive, i'm sure Terrence records all of the guitars other than Guy's solos.

That doesn't sound "flubby" at all, if by saying that we mean the same thing. I'd say go for the Super Distortion. It's a great pickup, although "flubbyness" comes more from the string gauge than pickups IMO.

By the way, why you don't like Seymour Duncans? The only thing I find wrong is that stupid logo they put. I never got any bad tones using them. Although I hate battery powered pickups (EMG81).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideally, I'm looking for something that will accent both a mahogany body and scooped mids

I've used an EMG 707 in the past and did not like it at all.

As for Duncans, again not really something I'm that interested in.

Also, something with covers already attached would be even better.

I wouldn't call the Super D scooped. More going on in the low-mids than high mids, but it still pumps out lots of mids overall.