Dimmu Borgir

I really don't see the point in all that commercialized black metal - I mean when you try to make it melodic enough for the mainstream, it kinda loses the power that really defines black metal for most people.

I really don't see the point in all that commercialized black metal - I mean when you try to make it melodic enough for the mainstream, it kinda loses the power that really defines black metal for most people.

I'd like to note that they're not trying to be melodic, they were earlier, and that's why I don't like EDT.

I bought IST as first album from them, I didn't really like it, but later I found out that pretty much all of the songs are very good. I personally really like The sinister awakening and The fundamental alienation.

I know the that most of you only dislike the band so much because it's the most popular "blackmetal" band. Not saying though that it's anything like the best of them though. But it's just I don't mind the scenes when listening to music.

Yeah, I think a lot of people are right when Dimmu is just described as an 'extreme metal' band, because there is very little to do with black metal these days - make-up now withstanding.

I also think people get to hung up on the fact that they have been associated with black metal."if the are black metal then they cant do this or that and they suck.." whatever you call them, at the end of the day they are a metal band, and in that case a pretty damn good one. Some of their songs have beautiful melodies, super awesome riffs, heavy as hell assaults, all which in my mind contribute to some good music. But on their last album they watered themselves down and that last album was bad. Hopefully for their next one they complicate things a bit again and bring in more Vortex vocals, man I can never hate on a band with Simen Vortex singing, chills my bones when he gets on the mic.

maybe if they stopped trying to appeal to the hot topic kids, they'd be able to write half-way decent extreme metal again. maybe vortex's melodies wouldn't be absolutely fucking horrible, either. he's much better off in a reformed arcturus.

I also think people get to hung up on the fact that they have been associated with black metal."if the are black metal then they cant do this or that and they suck.." whatever you call them, at the end of the day they are a metal band, and in that case a pretty damn good one. Some of their songs have beautiful melodies, super awesome riffs, heavy as hell assaults, all which in my mind contribute to some good music. But on their last album they watered themselves down and that last album was bad. Hopefully for their next one they complicate things a bit again and bring in more Vortex vocals, man I can never hate on a band with Simen Vortex singing, chills my bones when he gets on the mic.

tomi to the rescue! i second every single word of this post, thanks!

I don't know - even negating the point that I don't care whether or not they are 'Trve Norwegian Black Metal' - everything they do is solid enough but I can't hear anything spectacular in them. When I hear something like Prometheus, it makes any Dimmu record look second rate. But hey, that is just me, like I said, I can at least listen to them when my friends throw them on.

I don't know - even negating the point that I don't care whether or not they are 'Trve Norwegian Black Metal' - everything they do is solid enough but I can't hear anything spectacular in them. When I hear something like Prometheus, it makes any Dimmu record look second rate. But hey, that is just me, like I said, I can at least listen to them when my friends throw them on.

Well Prometheus makes most anything look like crap but Emperor are very different than Dimmu and as much as I love Emperor, there are times when I just dont feel like listening to them and press play on some Dimmu. Plus if you use the rule that you compare everything to Prometheus then how does that compare to something like Master of Puppets or Number of the Beast, those albums are nothing in complexity and heaviness compared to Prometheus but that doesnt lessen those albums as some damn good metal music.
Plus if Dimmu was like Emperor then what would that do to Emperor? They suddenly wouldnt be as good and unique within the scene.

Well Prometheus makes most anything look like crap but Emperor are very different than Dimmu and as much as I love Emperor, there are times when I just dont feel like listening to them and press play on some Dimmu. Plus if you use the rule that you compare everything to Prometheus then how does that compare to something like Master of Puppets or Number of the Beast, those albums are nothing in complexity and heaviness compared to Prometheus but that doesnt lessen those albums as some damn good metal music.
Plus if Dimmu was like Emperor then what would that do to Emperor? They suddenly wouldnt be as good and unique within the scene.

I was comparing Dimmu and (late-period) Emperor because they both go for that symphonic/extreme metal amalgam, have similiar vocal approach, are from around the same era (I would say Dimmu's prime was late 90s/early 00s), hence why I was comparing them.

I would agree that Dimmu is much easier listening than Prometheus, so I completely understand why you don't feel like it all the time and throw on some good old reliable (if unspectacular, in my opinion) Dimmu Borgir.

I can't find much information about Prometheus, all I've got so far is a German thrash band. Is this the correct band?

oh Lol shit. I'll have to check it out, I've only heard the first ~2 (I think) albums by them. Thanks.

oh Lol shit. I'll have to check it out, I've only heard the first ~2 (I think) albums by them. Thanks.

Do check it out. It is rather different to the earlier Emperor stuff, hence why sometimes it is often criticised from some quarters. It is far more textured and heavier than, for example, In The Nightside Eclipse.

My ears disagree on the "fact" that they're trying to please the masses.

But I admit that I have noticed that there's some clearish nü-metal (or whatever it was) influence on the new stuff, and I even like it...:eek:

I have to say that Spellbound IS a good song afterall, but I still think the intro is annoying...but I might get over it in time.

Dimmu are definitely a guilty pleasure band for me. I honestly don't see where all the hate comes from, though. Sure, it's immature and cheesy, but that's what makes it fun. It's metal, after all. Also, it's odd that most of the few people here who admit to liking them at all say that they like PEM, which is by far their cheesiest album.

I'm a big Emperor fan too, but I've never listened to anything after Anthems very much. I thought IX Equilibrium kinda blew and I only gave Promethius a cursory listen. I thought AngL was decent, so I guess I should give it another shot.