Dimmu/Nevermore/COB/Hypo..........In SF

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
I wrote this as a letter to a very good......best friend of mine, but after re-reading it, I thought it told an alright story of last night, & decided to share it, as is, with everyone that wants to read it......this is not a review, this is a letter.......& I hope this friend does not mind sharing their mail with the Board Masses.........:

We went to SF.....to Tommy's Joint ....& ......4/5 th of Nevermore were eating dinner there also, its only 3 blocks from the venue.......Stevie D, Rob, & me, had Barbacue Beef Bristket(lots of horseradish)....Hmmmmm......Good......then we delivered & dropped off Erics head, Steve blew his Mesa Boogie head.......& borrowed Erics.....Eric P, Derrick Rameriez, Jon Allen & Crystal,TL Web misstress, & Lyle, were all out front so we joined are gang(all of Dragonlord Present)........Missed Hypocracy?..........cause we were talking out front......ya know visiting....we all got tickets & passes, thanks to our Never/Dimmu buddies.....COB: I saw most of them......I liked their sound, very nice change of pace for the evening.........melodic but still heavy, just not to extreme, but I liked them & saw the little guitar God Alexi....I would like to see them again......next up Nevermore:.......went up front, for all of them......made my way to Steves side, 3rd row under him.....took alot of cool photos.....will send you a disc......now I do not know their music at all!......they were tight......just not my cup of tea....now they were good....but not raveing good......better than alot of bands out their, no doubt, maybe I should start listening to their CD's that I have?....I know you love them & their singer.....I think you'd look good with a nose ring through your nose.........Smyth fit them well & put on a good show.......but something was lacking for me.......but I did bring their last 3 cd's & got them all signed(cool huh)....thanks to Smyth...they are selling Nevermore's EOR, signed by the band, $20 bucks......lots of merch, to choose from....bought a cool hoodie(they had 4 to choose from overall),....Dimmu.......2 skulls facing eachother on front.......Death Cult Legion 666...on back...$40.....very fuck'n cool........they also had a Nevermore EOR album cover hoodie & T-shirts, almost got one, but one was enough at X-mass time...ya know.......control yourself Walter......this tour is doing extremely well, selling out in almost every city.....in's and outs permitted, so after Nevermore, I went out acroos the street & bought me a carrot juice, yes I was the designated driver, but everyone else was toe up drunk.......next up Dimmu:........now they had the best of everything....best lights, sound, crowd going wild, production, faces painted, good solid evil frontman, lots of special sound effects......very Evil!......Hail Satan, for a little over an hour.........they definitely had the crowd, & deserved their headling spot, first time I ever saw, & for that kind of Black Metal........Very Impressed(next week we are all going to Craddle)..........we'll see how they stack up against them.......after the show we hung out, talked to Smyth & a couple of the Never Gang........then Stevie D, Rob & me, worked our way backstage to Dimmu's dressing room(knew the Bass player & another band member cause they hitched a ride on our Tour bus from Oslo Norway to the Wacken in Germany last summer), they were very nice but very tired, LA,...... big party night, .....then off Thanksgiving .....but they went to the hotel bar & tore their bodies up some more, so they were subdued......but very nice & gentlemen, not evil Satanists(HA HA)......they invited us to their make shift home their Tour Bus, to have some nightcaps......we were joined by Eric, Derrick & Lyle, & they all had Stiffies(drinks that is).....Eric handed out gifts of Testament & DL merch........and we had some very low key conversation, their was a huge crowd outside their bus.....the signing masses.....waiting...waiting for their Evil hero's to come out(or in).......at about 1:30 am, their Bus driver fired up the bus, this is a signal to breakup the party, & head on(universal Tour Signal).......I thanked them for their Nordic hospitality, & we made our way to the parking garage in seedy Downtown SF.........I had to drive & nodded alittle, along the way....Stevie D ...of course was quickly sleeping, & out cold, Rob stayed up & wanted to make sure I stayed on the road(& got them home safe).......dropped them off....& was home by 2:45am......Friday night in the Big City.......Talk to ya soon...........Take care.........................BH!

Hey man, I looked around for ya, but no luck. I was front and center for the first three bands, but didn't stick around for Dimmu...don't really like 'em. Nevermore was AWESOME. Full report here.

Steve and his wife are awesome...they recognized me as "Jewfro," and were happy to chat and bring out the rest of Nevermore. Kudos, Smyths - you guys rock. \m/

Pyrus said:
Hey man, I looked around for ya, but no luck. I was front and center for the first three bands, but didn't stick around for Dimmu...don't really like 'em. Nevermore was AWESOME. Full report here.

Steve and his wife are awesome...they recognized me as "Jewfro," and were happy to chat and bring out the rest of Nevermore. Kudos, Smyths - you guys rock. \m/
I was looking for you too.....but no luck, I was wearing a Dragonlord Hoodie(Red printing)..........maybe next time........?

Oh Hell YEA!! What a KILLER show DE!! Hypocrisy was EXCELLENT! I loved them so much. They have been around a LONG time and their show was so profesional.The only complaint I have about their set is that it wasn't long enough! I hope they headline a show someday! Next up, COB. They were super tight and had great sound. Alexi is a great guitarist and front man....head's a little enlarged...but they are one of the biggest things going in Europe..so I can understand a bit (I think he went to the Yingve school of rock star) HA!! On to NEVERMORE! I knew these guys were one of my favorites for a reason! Damn what a killer set list! Opened with Narcosynthesis....YES! And there was our Steve up there...playing along with Jeff on several leads...in PERFECT sync! He made us proud!! Damn Jeff Loomis is a technical GOD!! Warrel's voice was ON! I love his voice..he even did some Sanctuary screams...gave me goosebumps!! Dimmu had GREAT sound as usual. Those guys are one of the best live bands out there as far as their sound is concerned! Simon had a couple of problems with his bass during one song, but that was quickly remedied (I couldn't hear it, I just saw a roadie trying to fix whatever it was) Kings of the Carnival Creation was the highlight for me! I love that song, and the drumming in it is really cool sounding! Simon's voice is completely GOD-LIKE! (He's the clean vocalist). Excellent set...thumbs up!!

We got to meet everyone in Dimmu, Nick Barker had on a Testament hoodie...he LOVES Testament! He commented on mine :)

Being female...I have to say this for all the female readers:D SHAGRATH IS HOT!!!!!! Ok...back to my story...HA!

Then we met the guys from Hypocrisy...very cool guys and they signed all our stuff (so did Dimmu) I bought a Hypocrisy long sleeve t..they actually had a MEDIUM! They were thinking about their FEMALE fans...wish more bands had smaller sizes...for cryin out loud! That's the reason I never get any t-shirts! The girly t's are OK, but I kind of have a problem with paying $30 for a really cheap t-shirt!

Then I saw a guy walking down the sidewalk with a Death Angel sweatshirt on, I told my brother wow..ya don't see people with Death Angel stuff on very often up here...then the guy turned around and it was our Steve Smyth! I got a hug from him and talked to him for a while. I have to say, he's one of the nicest people I've ever met in the metal scene...REALLY sweet and down to earth!

Then Alexi came out and I had him sign my Hatecrew cd booklet. He was actually hella-nice! He's really tiny...and super cute! By now it was 1:30 and I had an hour and a half drive home..so we left.

What a killer night!!! Every band RULED!! If you have a chance to see this tour, do yourself a favor and GO!!!