Dio Magica II???

modernwizardry

I want stout!
Aug 18, 2009
Chicago, IL
satanshallow.bandcamp.com
I was reading the Classic Rock special on Ronnie James Dio and they mention Magica II being recorded in 2009 but they show the cover art of Magica (2000). I know Dio was working on a new solo album this article makes it sound like it was finished because they comment that it was strong as ever. Does anybody know anything about this album? Was it released? Will it be released?

That last track (Electra, or Magica 2 I believe it's also called) was released on a Europe tour pack that was supposed to be released on his upcoming Europe tour that ended up being cancelled when he got cancer. They sold a limited amount of "Tournado" on his website earlier this year with some of them being signed by RJD.

Magica II? Dio is one of my favorite artists, and a vocal legend. Musically he can do no wrong. I'd love to hear more Dio music, but wouldn't care in the least if it was a Magica sequel. That first album was one of the worst storylines in a concept album ever. In fact, it would be the worst in the metal genre if Avantasia didn't exist.

Steve in Philly

Magica II? Dio is one of my favorite artists, and a vocal legend. Musically he can do no wrong. I'd love to hear more Dio music, but wouldn't care in the least if it was a Magica sequel. That first album was one of the worst storylines in a concept album ever. In fact, it would be the worst in the metal genre if Avantasia didn't exist.

Steve in Philly

Lol, the story is a bit basic, fantasy-wise (especially the names of the characters, haha), but I still think that musically it's a very strong album, which makes up for it.

I think they'd only just started recording Magica II, and as a couple of you say, the track ''Electra'' was released.
But if I'm right Ronnie died before they could record the whole thing, so I guess it won't be released. One can always hope though.

Lol, the story is a bit basic, fantasy-wise (especially the names of the characters, haha), but I still think that musically it's a very strong album, which makes up for it.

I'd agree with that. And I don't really about the story. Musically, Magica is excellent IMO, but would have been even better with a couple more up-tempo songs.

I don't think Magica II was ever finished. I think it went a bit on hold when Dio rejoined Black Sabbath in 2007.