Direct Recording with Preamp, great guitarsound?

Curse9

Jun 10, 2008
Germany
hi guys,

i have a tube preamp and ask me how do i get a real cool guitar sound with this piece. i heard about vst for sumulating the cab and some other cool software features to realise a great tone.

how do you guys record your guitar with a preamp? by the way, i have an old hughes&kettner metal master preamp.

thanks for advice!

A method of simulating the power amp, speaker cab, microphone, and preamp in a recording of a guitar tone. So the only thing that's missing is the preamp, and that's where yours comes in. For info beyond that, though, search, cuz one of the unwritten (well, often written actually) rules of this forum is - heaven help anyone who asks about impulses! :D

Maybe if there was an impulse sticky at the top of this sub-forum, people would see it right away and be instantly gratified. It seems if one doesn't see it in the top few threads, they just ask. I actually hate the "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION YOU FUCKIN RETARD" responses because people are just asking simple questions, but I also understand that when every new person joins and asks the same question 3 seconds after someone else did, it gets old. Someone should make a FAQ and sticky it. We got one for everything else.....

is there any threat which can tell a newb like me how the software works? when i try to search i allways get a mass of threats with impulse themes...

would be very nice! and don't hit me:erk:

nothin wrong with giving someone a push in the right direction. impulses, like metaltastic has said, emulation of power amp, speaker and mic. its created by recording the change in eq curve when a white noise signal plays through the amp. this eq curve is applied to a direct preamp signal.

Maybe if there was an impulse sticky at the top of this sub-forum, people would see it right away and be instantly gratified. It seems if one doesn't see it in the top few threads, they just ask. I actually hate the "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION YOU FUCKING RETARD" responses because people are just asking simple questions, but I also understand that when every new person joins and asks the same question 3 seconds after someone else did, it gets old. Someone should make a FAQ and sticky it. We got one for everything else.....

Hahahahahahahaahahaha, you just made me erupt in laughter at the office dude, so thanks for that :D That really is how it must come off a lot of the time, and I agree, we're LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG overdue for an impulse sticky - I mean, how many people really ask about sidechaining compared to impulses, and yet look which one has yet to have a FAQ written about it (don't misunderstand though, ahjteam, I really appreciate that thread, and have learned a ton from it :kickass: ).

I think tonight I'm gonna write an impulse FAQ, even though I really don't know much beyond the basics about them. At least it'll be a start, so everyone can correct me, but at least the thread will exist! :)

the sticky should be simple and straight to the point. i enjoyed the tubescreamer faq, but i can see how a noob would not read the whole thing because it is so long and takes a while to get answers from it. there will still be the odd noob to pwn though, regardless of stickys.

"i`m looking for brutal tonez" i have ibanez and metal zone

Maybe if there was an impulse sticky at the top of this sub-forum, people would see it right away and be instantly gratified. It seems if one doesn't see it in the top few threads, they just ask. I actually hate the "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION YOU FUCKING RETARD" responses because people are just asking simple questions, but I also understand that when every new person joins and asks the same question 3 seconds after someone else did, it gets old. Someone should make a FAQ and sticky it. We got one for everything else.....

i believe i suggested an impulse FAQ/sticky a couple months ago...it was subsequently shot down because a number of people were like "d00d, impulses aren't even that complicated!"

Yeah, I know...it's about as complicated as answering most questions on this forum, yet the cut-and-paste "use search" answer gets used all the time regardless, not even just for impulse inquiries....I'd do one, but I don't feel I know anything more about it than anyone else on this forum, let alone the actual science behind it. I just know what programs to use and that I have some impulses I've downloaded, other than that I've got nothing more than anyone else.

So, from the sound of it, we have a couple of votes for a stickied Impulse FAQ to be made.

You know, actually there is one in the FAQ on the front page. It reads like this...

[*]What are impulses and how to use them? Read this and then this

hi guys,

i have a tube preamp and ask me how do i get a real cool guitar sound with this piece. i heard about vst for sumulating the cab and some other cool software features to realise a great tone.

how do you guys record your guitar with a preamp? by the way, i have an old hughes&kettner metal master preamp.

thanks for advice!

actually the clip i did is with a h&k metal master + impulses (thanks to guitarhack):kickass:
http://boomp3.com/listen/bzf3ri0fc_p/hkonly-fred-impulsemp

that won't help much. all this science stuff doesn't get you to recording via impulses

It answers the question of what they actually are, and if one can't figure out the search function he does not deserve the glory of impulses.

Curse9, your transgressions against the sacred Search tool have been noted. You have expended three of your five free newbie mistakes; take care with your last two, or the future will not be kind to you.

Jeff