DI's with a Neve console

RevoltStudios

Aug 2, 2009
Alright, I'm sorry for such a stupid DI question but this is truly full of many options! I'll be recording in a studio with a Neve VR Legend 48 channel board and various various rackmount Neve, API, Sphere preamps. My question is should I avoid using the console for DI recording and use external or am I looking to impart some Neve magic? I'll be reamping in the same studio...I love it :)

P.S. Using a Countryman DI

The Neve VR doesn't have High-Z inputs as far as I know. Just the usual Line and Mic inputs.

I'd personally try to bypass the desk entirely. It will impart a certain colour to your DI track which may be undesirable.

^+1

The only thing we'd want our tracks coloured by before it hits the amp would be just the boost pedal.

However, you may want to feed in the mic into the Neve (like duh:Spin:)

Off-topic: Really digged your Systematic Mixing Series. I'd defo get the PDF when it's out. You're a great engineer! Cheers! :)

I would suggest trying through the desk also. I always thought I needed to keep my DI signal as uncolored as possible until I purposely colored some bass DI parts through my aurora gtq2 preamps. The coloring was subtle and did not take anything away, it actually improved. Now I seem to always send ALL DI tracks (guitar , bass , keys ) through REDDI - GTQ2. Instant huge