Disaster recovery

Williamn

Aug 4, 2009
Ireland - Denmark
Hello, I was wondering what you all are doing to prepare for a hard disk crash ?

I was thinking of getting a small raptor drive for my OS and applications and then have 2x500GB or 1TB disk in a mirror raid (can't really remember what numeber/kind of raid that is).

any other ideas?

~ Never keep your OS & data on the same drive
~ Set up backup tasks to echo to an external drive every day* using synchtoy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SyncToy) (*to taste & based on how valuable the data is :D )
~ Image your OS disk with all your goodies installed

If you do the above you'll lose a maximum of a days work in the event of a corrupt data drive, and in the event of a major OS drive corruption, you'll be back up and running within 20 minutes.

~ Never keep your OS & data on the same drive
~ Set up backup tasks to echo to an external drive every day* using synchtoy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SyncToy) (*to taste & based on how valuable the data is :D )
~ Image your OS disk with all your goodies installed

If you do the above you'll lose a maximum of a days work in the event of a corrupt data drive, and in the event of a major OS drive corruption, you'll be back up and running within 20 minutes.

this.

i use Acronis True Image Workstation for this...simple and effective
and keep backups of other things on a separate terabyte drive, because u never know!!!

I keep all my important data saved to an external 1TB drive, and keep it unplugged just in case an errant power spike fries everything. OS drive is imaged with Acronis TrueImage and kept on that external backup.

I have two disk sets in my PC in RAID 1 configuration (Mirroring):
2x250GB for OS and applications.
2x500GB for Projects, Samples, large application data storage.

The next step would be to try to mitigate data loss in the event of a fire or flood, in my opinion that would be to add a 1TB external FW drive and do a full backup of both drives I list above to it monthly/weekly/whatever you feel safe with, removing the external drive, and storing it in a fire rated lock box.