DAW hard drive partitions

crosstalk

Oct 14, 2007
I'm in the middle of setting up a new computer to be a dedicated DAW and I'm having a hard time deciding what I should do as far as hard drive partitions. I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I've read a lot of articles, but I just can't decide. A good one was at http://www.xpfree.org/partitioning_for_daws.htm A lot of the info I've found was from years ago when drives were smaller and things like Windows 7 didn't exist.

Previous setup: Windows XP 32bit. 250Gb disc with OS, softare, plugins, samples, and junk from when it wasn't just a DAW. 500Gb disc with only recording sessions and recorded audio.

New setup: Windows 7 64bit. 1Tb disc with OS and.... and 1Tb disc for recording sessions and recorded audio. Also a 1Tb external HD that is for backing up.

I got along fine with my previous, smaller setup, but I want to make sure I'm optimizing what I have with the new setup.

I have a decent amount of plugins, but they really don't take up much space, maybe 2Gb tops. For sample librarys, I have SSD3.5 Plat and SSD4 Plat, Kontak3 with some fairly small string/piano/etc librarys. Total of around 30Gb.

So should I partition for OS, Plugs, Samples, Misc or anything else and if so, what size partitions would you suggest?

Thank you!