hard drive space recommendation?

XxSicRokerxX

Gabriel R.
Nov 25, 2010
Orange County, CA
i have a 465 gb hard drive.

Right now i have about 150gb free. (i only have a c:/ drive, no partitions)

ive been saving up to buy eastwest symphonic type plugins but...i know those programs easily require 30gb+.

Ive been thinking about formatting my hard drive and only installing music recording related products. (i have a ton of filth on my hard drive such as games and movies that i never use)

So what do you all think i should do:

-Reformat, 465 gb is sufficient ?
-Buy a new primary HD? (what size do you recommend)
-Buy an external drive?
-Simply buy another HD so i have 2 partitions.

Honestly, as cheap as hard drives are now you might as well not go any lower than 1TB. I would recommend maybe a smaller OS drive, like the 465 GB you have, and just use it for your OS and software. Ideally you would would an internal drive for your samples (slate, eastwest, etc.) and a separate internal drive for recording. That would be a total of three drives. You should also have an external that you can backup your record drive with. The samples can all be reinstalled but if your record drive crashes then you lose everything and trust me, it will make you sick to your stomach.

Buy a 1TB or larger and use it for audio recording, samples, etc. If your system has room and supports it, get another one and put them in a RAID 1 array.