External Portable Drive Suggestions

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
Not exactly recording related, but music and equipment related...

I bought my Macbook Pro in April, and I still haven't transferred all my music to the laptop, and I've hit the tipping point. I've transferred random albums I feel like listening to, but I need to get ALL my music easily accessible. I kept all my music on an external drive from my PC desktop days, which worked great, but now I have a Mac laptop, so having something HFS+ formatted so I can edit iD3 tags and something more portable would be great.

I would just transfer all my music to the internal drive, but I don't want the internal drive to be completely filled.

Unless someone has some brilliant suggestion, I think the best solution is to get a USB-powered external portable drive. However, I can't really find one that is perfect.

I'm looking for:
  • Roughly 500 GB or more
  • USB 3.0 (just for future compatibility) and possibly firewire (not necessary, but would be a nice plus)
  • Bus-powered (I want this to be a portable and simple solution I can plug in and lay hidden, not tethered to a wall)
  • 7200 RPM

The iomega 500GB eGo Portable looks perfect, but it's 5400 RPM. It's small and bus-powered, and USB 3.0. And it has some drop protection built-in.

Also, this looks perfect, but I can't find anywhere to buy it, and I have a feeling it's $200, and I don't know if it's 7200 RPM: Freecom Portable MG
And it's so thin I might worry about how sturdy it is

Is 5400 RPM decent enough? This drive will literally be just a hub of music I leave connected so that I can actually populate my iTunes library. I've always had 7200 RPM drives, so I have no experience with 5400 RPM externals. Is there going to be skips and glitches in the playback with a drive of that speed? Will album art take forever to load in iTunes as I'm browsing through albums?

If 5400 RPM would be fine for external music playback, I think I'll just get the iomega. I already have a firewire 7200 RPM drive for backups, and I record to my internal 7200 RPM drive, so as I said, this is just a external, portable, music storage device for the mac.
If 5400 RPM isn't fast enough, does anyone have a suggestion that matches what I'm looking for?

Thanks dudes

I have a WD Passport. Meets your requirements + it's so small you could fit it in your pocket. You shouldn't be concerned about rpm for just playing back music; 5400 will do you just fine.

Personally I don't like using the internal drive for recording, but more and more people have had good results. I think these days with SATA and such it isn't a big deal.

Anyway, since all you are doing is storing MP3's and such. A 3400RPM drive would be just fine. It will even do WAV files just fine. You can stream those off of USB 1.1. Hell or even floppy disks.

So no worries.

Checkout the SeaGate FreeAgent GoFlex Pro. I have one that's 500GB, 7200RPM and you can change the connection format from USB 2.0 to 3.0 or firewire.