Do the internal hard disk speed matter when recording to a external one?

MindMunch

Jan 17, 2011
I´m in the market for a new notebook for audio and I need it to be able to track up to six tracks at once.

There´s one model here with i7 CPU with a really good price, but the internal hard disk has only 5400 rpm.

I´m going to record the tracks to a fast external eSata hard disk, but use the internal hard disk to run the operational system, DAW, etc.

My question is: Will the slow internal hard disk be a problem, or only the external hard disk needs to be fast?

It's not ideal, but not the end of the world. You can always upgrade the internal hard drive later.

It's not ideal, but not the end of the world. You can always upgrade the internal hard drive later.

Thanks for the reply, I was almost bumping it : D

I think I will do what you say, I just hope the 5400 system hard disk can handle the task without dropouts until I can upgrade it.

Thanks for the reply, I was almost bumping it : D

I think I will do what you say, I just hope the 5400 system hard disk can handle the task without dropouts until I can upgrade it.
Since you're only using it to run the DAW itself, and not recording the tracks on it I don't see how this could be a problem. The harddisk isn't too slow to run the software after all. I did it myself and even with drum recordings it didn't make any problems. Plus it was no eSata but a Firewire harddisk, daisy-chained to my interface. The internal was also a 5400rpm HDD (Seagate afair). So yeah, I think you'll be good with your setup.

Since you're only using it to run the DAW itself, and not recording the tracks on it I don't see how this could be a problem. The harddisk isn't too slow to run the software after all. I did it myself and even with drum recordings it didn't make any problems. Plus it was no eSata but a Firewire harddisk, daisy-chained to my interface. The internal was also a 5400rpm HDD (Seagate afair). So yeah, I think you'll be good with your setup.

Awesome news, that´s exactly what I was hoping to hear :D